Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Estate of Skibo sale catalogue, 1890 p02
EXTERNAL ID
DNHHL_Z2001_041_02_MAP
PLACENAME
Skibo Estate
DISTRICT
Dornoch and Creich
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Historylinks Museum, Dornoch
ASSET ID
4952
KEYWORDS
estates
castles
sales
catalogues
buying and selling
zoomable

This map shows the area of Scotland around the Skibo Estate. The estate itself is outlined in black.

The Skibo Estate, near Dornoch in Sutherland, was originally called Schytherbolle, which translates into 'fairyland' or 'place of peace'. The earliest settlers were the Norse who conquered Sutherland at the beginning of the 10th Century. They used Skibo as a defence base as it had good sea views and its own anchorage.

In 1186 Skibo was granted to Gilbert de Moravia, Bishop of Caithness, and remained the seat of the Bishops of Caithness until 1545 when it was given to John Gray. The Gray family switched their allegiance several times between the Hanoverians and the Stewarts until Robert Gray surrendered the estate in 1745.

Between 1746 and 1897 the estate changed hands several times and its fortunes rose or fell according to the owners enthusiasm and finances. When Andrew Carnegie bought the estate in 1897, for £85,000, it was in a poor state. Carnegie spent approximately £2 million improving the estate which included the building of Skibo Castle from the old mansion house on the estate.

This sale catalogue is a copy lent by the Historylinks Museum in Dornoch

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Estate of Skibo sale catalogue, 1890 p02

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1890s

estates; castles; sales; catalogues; buying and selling; zoomable

Historylinks Museum, Dornoch

This map shows the area of Scotland around the Skibo Estate. The estate itself is outlined in black.<br /> <br /> The Skibo Estate, near Dornoch in Sutherland, was originally called Schytherbolle, which translates into 'fairyland' or 'place of peace'. The earliest settlers were the Norse who conquered Sutherland at the beginning of the 10th Century. They used Skibo as a defence base as it had good sea views and its own anchorage.<br /> <br /> In 1186 Skibo was granted to Gilbert de Moravia, Bishop of Caithness, and remained the seat of the Bishops of Caithness until 1545 when it was given to John Gray. The Gray family switched their allegiance several times between the Hanoverians and the Stewarts until Robert Gray surrendered the estate in 1745. <br /> <br /> Between 1746 and 1897 the estate changed hands several times and its fortunes rose or fell according to the owners enthusiasm and finances. When Andrew Carnegie bought the estate in 1897, for £85,000, it was in a poor state. Carnegie spent approximately £2 million improving the estate which included the building of Skibo Castle from the old mansion house on the estate.<br /> <br /> This sale catalogue is a copy lent by the Historylinks Museum in Dornoch