Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Free Church communion, Gairloch
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_006
PLACENAME
Gairloch
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
4964
KEYWORDS
churches
church services
congregations
Free Church of Scotland
Free Church communion, Gairloch

An open air church service at Leabaidh na Bà Bàine, Gairloch. The congregation gathered in this photograph is likely to be from the Free Presbyterian Church in Gairloch. Leabaidh na Bà Bàine ("the bed of the white cow") is a natural, oval depression which can hold up to two thousand people.

On the west coast of Scotland, the Free Church traditionally held their communion services in Gaelic, although this is becoming less common. The congregation, seen in the act of communion, were from the Gairloch Free Church. Built in 1881 in the Gothic style, it was designed by Mathews & Laurie. The church is located next to the Gairloch Golf Course and still holds weekly services.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Free Church communion, Gairloch

ROSS: Gairloch

churches; church services; congregations; Free Church of Scotland

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

An open air church service at Leabaidh na Bà Bàine, Gairloch. The congregation gathered in this photograph is likely to be from the Free Presbyterian Church in Gairloch. Leabaidh na Bà Bàine ("the bed of the white cow") is a natural, oval depression which can hold up to two thousand people.<br /> <br /> On the west coast of Scotland, the Free Church traditionally held their communion services in Gaelic, although this is becoming less common. The congregation, seen in the act of communion, were from the Gairloch Free Church. Built in 1881 in the Gothic style, it was designed by Mathews & Laurie. The church is located next to the Gairloch Golf Course and still holds weekly services.<br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>