Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sheepdog Trials on Gairloch Golf Course, 1959
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_0972
PLACENAME
Gairloch
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
DATE OF IMAGE
1959
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
5126
KEYWORDS
sports
country sports
Sheepdog Trials on Gairloch Golf Course, 1959

A view of the Sheepdog Trials taking place on Gairloch Golf Course, in 1959. Sheepdog trials is a competitive dog sport, in which a sheep dog, guided by its trainer, herds domestic livestock around a series of obstacles. The dog which finishes the course in the quickest time, and with the least mistakes, is considered the winner.

The Gairloch Golf Course was founded in 1898 courtesy of a land grant by Sir Kenneth S. Mackenzie of Gairloch, who became its first Honorary President. Captain A. M. Burgess is credited with founding the club and designing the original layout of the course.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sheepdog Trials on Gairloch Golf Course, 1959

ROSS: Gairloch

1950s

sports; country sports

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

A view of the Sheepdog Trials taking place on Gairloch Golf Course, in 1959. Sheepdog trials is a competitive dog sport, in which a sheep dog, guided by its trainer, herds domestic livestock around a series of obstacles. The dog which finishes the course in the quickest time, and with the least mistakes, is considered the winner.<br /> <br /> The Gairloch Golf Course was founded in 1898 courtesy of a land grant by Sir Kenneth S. Mackenzie of Gairloch, who became its first Honorary President. Captain A. M. Burgess is credited with founding the club and designing the original layout of the course. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>