Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Gairloch Pier
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_101
PLACENAME
Gairloch
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
5184
KEYWORDS
boats
piers
harbours
Gairloch Pier

A view looking south across the village of Gairloch. Baosbheinn, a Corbett of red sandstone, can be seen in the background.

A small fishing and crofting community on the north-west coast of the Highlands, Gairloch derives its name from the Gaelic for 'short loch' and is located on Flowerdale Bay, a sheltered inlet which has been in the past, and still remains, an important anchorage on the west coastline for fishing boats and yachts.

The Gairloch community once consisted of a number of small scattered settlements. Prior to the completion of the A832 in 1843, access to the area was almost exclusively by sea. Once 'opened up', the Gairloch area became a popular destination for Victorian tourists wishing to sample the Highland 'sublime'. The area experienced a boom following a royal visit by Queen Victoria in 1877, who visited during her stay at nearby Loch Maree Hotel.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gairloch Pier

ROSS: Gairloch

boats; piers; harbours

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

A view looking south across the village of Gairloch. Baosbheinn, a Corbett of red sandstone, can be seen in the background. <br /> <br /> A small fishing and crofting community on the north-west coast of the Highlands, Gairloch derives its name from the Gaelic for 'short loch' and is located on Flowerdale Bay, a sheltered inlet which has been in the past, and still remains, an important anchorage on the west coastline for fishing boats and yachts. <br /> <br /> The Gairloch community once consisted of a number of small scattered settlements. Prior to the completion of the A832 in 1843, access to the area was almost exclusively by sea. Once 'opened up', the Gairloch area became a popular destination for Victorian tourists wishing to sample the Highland 'sublime'. The area experienced a boom following a royal visit by Queen Victoria in 1877, who visited during her stay at nearby Loch Maree Hotel. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>