Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inquiry into Loch Maree poisoning tragedy
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_335
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
1 September 1922
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
5479
KEYWORDS
health
welfare
illness
death
Inquiry into Loch Maree poisoning tragedy

In August 1922, five visitors to Loch Maree Hotel died of food poisoning after eating duck paste sandwiches. Medical Officers of the Scottish Board of Health pronounced the cause of the deaths as poisoning by bacillus botalinus contained in potted meat paste.

At the inquiry in the Sheriff Court in Dingwall September 1922 no fault was attributable to any particular person. However, though the deaths were deemed accidental, the hotel still holds the unenviable label of having been the location of the worst botulism food poisoning tragedy in Britain.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inquiry into Loch Maree poisoning tragedy

ROSS: Dingwall

1920s

health; welfare; illness; death

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

In August 1922, five visitors to Loch Maree Hotel died of food poisoning after eating duck paste sandwiches. Medical Officers of the Scottish Board of Health pronounced the cause of the deaths as poisoning by bacillus botalinus contained in potted meat paste.<br /> <br /> At the inquiry in the Sheriff Court in Dingwall September 1922 no fault was attributable to any particular person. However, though the deaths were deemed accidental, the hotel still holds the unenviable label of having been the location of the worst botulism food poisoning tragedy in Britain. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>