Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Photograph of the Laying of the Foundation Stone
EXTERNAL ID
AB_WICK_ART_34
PLACENAME
Wick
DISTRICT
Eastern Caithness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
DATE OF IMAGE
1897
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
560
KEYWORDS
libraries
public buildings
Photograph of the Laying of the Foundation Stone

This photograph shows the Laying of the Foundation Stone of the Wick Parish Carnegie Library on 27 March 1897.

Excerpt from the John o' Groat Journal:- "On the afternoon of Saturday last the ceremony of laying of the foundation stone of the Carnegie Public Parish Library, Wick, was performed by Mr Hew Morrison, F.E.I.S., F.S.A. Scot, chief librarian of the Public Library, Edinburgh.

The total cost of the buildings when complete is estimated at £4500, not inclusive of the site, which was valuated at £500, and which Mr Usher, the proprietor of Pulteneytown, has given free. As is well known the building has been made possible by the munificence of Mr Andrew Carnegie, of Pittsburgh, a free burgess of the Royal Burgh of Wick, and whose name is more prominently associated with the free library movement both in this country and America than that of any other man.

The ceremony took place at 4 o'clock p.m. Apart from a slight shower which fell towards the conclusion of the proceedings the weather was favourable.

The Rev. Mr. Renny having offered up the prayer, Mr John Robertson, chairman of the Library Committee, introduced Mr Morrison, and in doing so presented him with a silver trowel bearing an inscription as follows: - Presented to Hew Morrison, Esq., chief librarian, Edinburgh Public Library, on the occasion of his laying the foundation stone of Wick Parish Carnegie Public Library. March 27, 1897.

A glass bottle with the usual kind of documents and coins was then placed in the cavity, which had been prepared for it in stone, by Mr Reid, of Messrs Tait & Reid, builders, who also spread the mortar in preparation for the stone. Mr Morrison then used his silver trowel the stone having been lowered, he declared that it was well and truly laid."

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Photograph of the Laying of the Foundation Stone

CAITHNESS: Wick

1890s

libraries; public buildings

Am Baile

Wick Public Building Art

This photograph shows the Laying of the Foundation Stone of the Wick Parish Carnegie Library on 27 March 1897.<br /> <br /> Excerpt from the John o' Groat Journal:- "On the afternoon of Saturday last the ceremony of laying of the foundation stone of the Carnegie Public Parish Library, Wick, was performed by Mr Hew Morrison, F.E.I.S., F.S.A. Scot, chief librarian of the Public Library, Edinburgh.<br /> <br /> The total cost of the buildings when complete is estimated at £4500, not inclusive of the site, which was valuated at £500, and which Mr Usher, the proprietor of Pulteneytown, has given free. As is well known the building has been made possible by the munificence of Mr Andrew Carnegie, of Pittsburgh, a free burgess of the Royal Burgh of Wick, and whose name is more prominently associated with the free library movement both in this country and America than that of any other man.<br /> <br /> The ceremony took place at 4 o'clock p.m. Apart from a slight shower which fell towards the conclusion of the proceedings the weather was favourable. <br /> <br /> The Rev. Mr. Renny having offered up the prayer, Mr John Robertson, chairman of the Library Committee, introduced Mr Morrison, and in doing so presented him with a silver trowel bearing an inscription as follows: - Presented to Hew Morrison, Esq., chief librarian, Edinburgh Public Library, on the occasion of his laying the foundation stone of Wick Parish Carnegie Public Library. March 27, 1897.<br /> <br /> A glass bottle with the usual kind of documents and coins was then placed in the cavity, which had been prepared for it in stone, by Mr Reid, of Messrs Tait & Reid, builders, who also spread the mortar in preparation for the stone. Mr Morrison then used his silver trowel the stone having been lowered, he declared that it was well and truly laid."