Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Graduation Testimonial for Lachlan Matheson
EXTERNAL ID
Z_GB232_D928_C_I_04
DATE OF IMAGE
1836
PERIOD
1830s
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
5617
KEYWORDS
education
universities
surgery
medical students
surgeons
Graduation Testimonial for Lachlan Matheson

This testimonial dated 17 May 1836 is signed by Alex Hannay MD, Professor of Physic etc. at Andersons University. It testifies that Lachlan Matheson, surgeon, attended his courses of lectures on the theory and practice of Physic 'with the most exemplary diligence and attention to the business of the classes'. The document is part of the JLM Mitchell Archive of the Gaelic Society of Inverness. Lachlan Matheson was Mitchell's great grandfather.

Founded under the Will of John Anderson (1726-1796), Anderson's Institution was established in 1796. In 1828 it changed its name to Anderson's University but in 1877 it was obliged to dispense with the title 'University' as it lacked a royal warrant - becoming instead Anderson's College. In 1887 it became the main component of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College.

An important part of Anderson's University was its Medical School, established in 1799. In 1887 this became an independently run institution, finally being absorbed by the University of Glasgow in 1947. Throughout its existence, Anderson's was frequently styled 'the Andersonian'


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Graduation Testimonial for Lachlan Matheson

1830s

education; universities; surgery; medical students; surgeons

Highland Archive Centre

Sheriff JLM Mitchell (documents)

This testimonial dated 17 May 1836 is signed by Alex Hannay MD, Professor of Physic etc. at Andersons University. It testifies that Lachlan Matheson, surgeon, attended his courses of lectures on the theory and practice of Physic 'with the most exemplary diligence and attention to the business of the classes'. The document is part of the JLM Mitchell Archive of the Gaelic Society of Inverness. Lachlan Matheson was Mitchell's great grandfather.<br /> <br /> Founded under the Will of John Anderson (1726-1796), Anderson's Institution was established in 1796. In 1828 it changed its name to Anderson's University but in 1877 it was obliged to dispense with the title 'University' as it lacked a royal warrant - becoming instead Anderson's College. In 1887 it became the main component of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College.<br /> <br /> An important part of Anderson's University was its Medical School, established in 1799. In 1887 this became an independently run institution, finally being absorbed by the University of Glasgow in 1947. Throughout its existence, Anderson's was frequently styled 'the Andersonian' <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service