Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Freeburn Hotel
EXTERNAL ID
BOX2_FREEBURNHOTEL
PLACENAME
Tomatin
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Moy and Dalarossie
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
583
KEYWORDS
inns & hotels
rivers
Freeburn Hotel

The Freeburn Hotel, Tomatin, near Inverness. The name 'Freeburn' is a translation from the Gaelic 'Allt na Frithe', the burn used as the water source for Tomatin Distillery. Hotel patrons fished for salmon and trout in the Findhorn river. The building ceased to be a hotel when it was sold in 1967 to the Tarbat Estate Development Company. It was sold again in 1972 to Lord Elphinstone. It has recently been brought to our attention that Lord Elphinstone's life long friend, George Wood, was sole management partner of the hotel.

On the 1901 Census for Scotland George McLeod b. 8.1.1855 and his wife, Mary Frances (nee Ferguson|) b. 1854 were running the Freeburn Hotel. George and Mary were the parents of Ferguson McLeod, of the Balnagown Arms Hotel, which burnt down, and who proceeded to live at Ardgay House with his wife, Mina, where he died in 1969 aged 89. George McLeod was the brother of Robert McLeod b. 1846, who ran the Balmacara Hotel, Lochalsh.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Freeburn Hotel

INVERNESS: Moy and Dalarossie

inns & hotels; rivers

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

The Freeburn Hotel, Tomatin, near Inverness. The name 'Freeburn' is a translation from the Gaelic 'Allt na Frithe', the burn used as the water source for Tomatin Distillery. Hotel patrons fished for salmon and trout in the Findhorn river. The building ceased to be a hotel when it was sold in 1967 to the Tarbat Estate Development Company. It was sold again in 1972 to Lord Elphinstone. It has recently been brought to our attention that Lord Elphinstone's life long friend, George Wood, was sole management partner of the hotel. <br /> <br /> On the 1901 Census for Scotland George McLeod b. 8.1.1855 and his wife, Mary Frances (nee Ferguson|) b. 1854 were running the Freeburn Hotel. George and Mary were the parents of Ferguson McLeod, of the Balnagown Arms Hotel, which burnt down, and who proceeded to live at Ardgay House with his wife, Mina, where he died in 1969 aged 89. George McLeod was the brother of Robert McLeod b. 1846, who ran the Balmacara Hotel, Lochalsh. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />