Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fortrose Cathedral
EXTERNAL ID
BOX3_CATHEDRALFORTROSE_AT
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
587
KEYWORDS
cathedrals
Reformation
The Brahan Seer
Fortrose Cathedral

Fortrose Cathedral was established by Bishop Robert in the 13th century, after the Bishops of Ross moved here from Rosemarkie. Building ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century. Already in a state of disrepair after the Reformation, much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses.

All that remains are the south aisle of the nave and the nearby sacristy (undercroft) of the chapter house. Within the aisles are three arched tombs: Euphemia, Countess of Ross, who was forced to marry Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch; Bishop Robert Cairncross, who died in 1545; and Bishop John Fraser, who died in 1507. The Cathedral contains many marble tablets commemorating members of the Seaforth Mackenzie family and a memorial, built c1800, to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coul.

The Cathedral was the scene of the trial of Coinneach Odhar Fiosaiche, the Brahan Seer

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fortrose Cathedral

ROSS: Rosemarkie

2000s

cathedrals; Reformation; The Brahan Seer

Andrew Taylor

Fortrose Cathedral was established by Bishop Robert in the 13th century, after the Bishops of Ross moved here from Rosemarkie. Building ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century. Already in a state of disrepair after the Reformation, much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses.<br /> <br /> All that remains are the south aisle of the nave and the nearby sacristy (undercroft) of the chapter house. Within the aisles are three arched tombs: Euphemia, Countess of Ross, who was forced to marry Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch; Bishop Robert Cairncross, who died in 1545; and Bishop John Fraser, who died in 1507. The Cathedral contains many marble tablets commemorating members of the Seaforth Mackenzie family and a memorial, built c1800, to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coul.<br /> <br /> The Cathedral was the scene of the trial of Coinneach Odhar Fiosaiche, the Brahan Seer