Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
View from inside Rubha Reidh Lighthouse
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_675
PLACENAME
Loch Ewe
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
5943
KEYWORDS
lighthouses
sea
View from inside Rubha Reidh Lighthouse

A view looking out to sea from inside the lamp of the Rubha Reidh Lighthouse, situated at the entrance to Loch Ewe, near Gairloch.

The lighthouse was constructed under the supervision of Alan A. Stevenson and opened for the first time on 15 January 1912. The fog signal was installed in 1912 and withdrawn, finally, in September 1980. The foghorn and clockwork mechanism, along with the lens and lighting equipment, are now housed at the nearby Gairloch Heritage Museum.

In 1944, two of the lightkeepers were involved in the rescue of 15 survivors from the American Liberty Ship, the 'William H Welch', when the ship missed the entrance of Loch Ewe during a severe storm and went ashore at Black Bay.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

View from inside Rubha Reidh Lighthouse

ROSS

lighthouses; sea

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

A view looking out to sea from inside the lamp of the Rubha Reidh Lighthouse, situated at the entrance to Loch Ewe, near Gairloch.<br /> <br /> The lighthouse was constructed under the supervision of Alan A. Stevenson and opened for the first time on 15 January 1912. The fog signal was installed in 1912 and withdrawn, finally, in September 1980. The foghorn and clockwork mechanism, along with the lens and lighting equipment, are now housed at the nearby Gairloch Heritage Museum. <br /> <br /> In 1944, two of the lightkeepers were involved in the rescue of 15 survivors from the American Liberty Ship, the 'William H Welch', when the ship missed the entrance of Loch Ewe during a severe storm and went ashore at Black Bay. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>