Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
SS "Claymore" at Pier, Aultbea
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_849
PLACENAME
Aultbea
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
6111
KEYWORDS
piers
ferries
ferry boats
SS "Claymore" at Pier, Aultbea

A view of the S.S. Claymore, moored up to Aultbea, a small fishing village, on the shores of Loch Ewe.

The S.S. Claymore was the first ship to be commissioned by David MacBrayne. She was launched in 1881 with a tonnage of 726, and has been described as an attractive and distinctive ship. The Claymore was used all year round, as an all-purpose vessel, mainly on the Glasgow-Stornoway route via Gairloch, Poolewe, Aultbea and Lochinver.

From 1918 she concentrated on the Skye and mainland route carrying cargo, but was also used for 10-day passenger cruises. She replaced the Sheila for a time when the latter went aground in 1927, but by late 1929, MacBrayne's considered withdrawing the old flagship of their general purpose fleet.

She was reprieved for a year and plans drawn up to convert her into a floating hotel. These were abandoned and the ship was sold in 1931 for £75 and scrapped.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

SS "Claymore" at Pier, Aultbea

ROSS: Gairloch

piers; ferries; ferry boats

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

A view of the S.S. Claymore, moored up to Aultbea, a small fishing village, on the shores of Loch Ewe. <br /> <br /> The S.S. Claymore was the first ship to be commissioned by David MacBrayne. She was launched in 1881 with a tonnage of 726, and has been described as an attractive and distinctive ship. The Claymore was used all year round, as an all-purpose vessel, mainly on the Glasgow-Stornoway route via Gairloch, Poolewe, Aultbea and Lochinver. <br /> <br /> From 1918 she concentrated on the Skye and mainland route carrying cargo, but was also used for 10-day passenger cruises. She replaced the Sheila for a time when the latter went aground in 1927, but by late 1929, MacBrayne's considered withdrawing the old flagship of their general purpose fleet.<br /> <br /> She was reprieved for a year and plans drawn up to convert her into a floating hotel. These were abandoned and the ship was sold in 1931 for £75 and scrapped. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>