Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Leckmelm, Loch Broom
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_856
PLACENAME
Leckmelm
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
6125
KEYWORDS
lochs
Leckmelm, Loch Broom

A very early photograph of Leckmelm, on the banks of Loch Broom. The area is mentioned as early as 1586 when the Battle of Leckmelm took place between Clan Gunn, on one side, and the Clan Sutherland, Clan Mackay and Clan MacLeod on the other. An account of the battle is given in Robert Mackay's 'History of the House and Clan of Mackay' (1829).

Leckmelm Estate was purchased in 1879 by Mr A C Pirie, a paper manufacturer from Aberdeen. His first action upon acquiring the estate was to issue a notice to all of his tenants (23 families numbering over 100 people) that he intended to take possession of all the arable and pasture land on the estate, thus depriving the tenants of a way to make their living. As a result, some families were forced to move to the other side of the loch, where the land was difficult to cultivate, while others emigrated abroad. An account of this event can be found in 'The History of the Highland Clearances' (1883) by Alexander Mackenzie.

The house in the centre of the picture is 'Tir Aluinn' (beautiful land). It used to consist of 6 workers' cottages. The locals referred to it as 'the barracks'. Later, the roof was extended over the cottages to create one large house which became a hotel in 1958. Today, 'Tir Aluinn' is a private home.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Leckmelm, Loch Broom

ROSS: Lochbroom

lochs

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

A very early photograph of Leckmelm, on the banks of Loch Broom. The area is mentioned as early as 1586 when the Battle of Leckmelm took place between Clan Gunn, on one side, and the Clan Sutherland, Clan Mackay and Clan MacLeod on the other. An account of the battle is given in Robert Mackay's 'History of the House and Clan of Mackay' (1829).<br /> <br /> Leckmelm Estate was purchased in 1879 by Mr A C Pirie, a paper manufacturer from Aberdeen. His first action upon acquiring the estate was to issue a notice to all of his tenants (23 families numbering over 100 people) that he intended to take possession of all the arable and pasture land on the estate, thus depriving the tenants of a way to make their living. As a result, some families were forced to move to the other side of the loch, where the land was difficult to cultivate, while others emigrated abroad. An account of this event can be found in 'The History of the Highland Clearances' (1883) by Alexander Mackenzie.<br /> <br /> The house in the centre of the picture is 'Tir Aluinn' (beautiful land). It used to consist of 6 workers' cottages. The locals referred to it as 'the barracks'. Later, the roof was extended over the cottages to create one large house which became a hotel in 1958. Today, 'Tir Aluinn' is a private home. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>