Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Flowerdale from the Post Office, Gairloch
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_1002
PLACENAME
Gairloch
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
6286
KEYWORDS
landscapes
glens
Flowerdale from the Post Office, Gairloch

A view of Flowerdale from the Post Office at Gairloch. This lovely glen, just inland from Gairloch's harbour at Charlestown, is where the Mackenzies of Gairloch have their family seat, Flowerdale House.

A newer road and bridge bypass the bridge in this photograph and the house on the other side is now an inn. A walk from here passes Flowerdale House and then carries on through the glen, which is rich in plant and animal life, and up the river, Abhainn Ghlas, to a waterfall.

The original house at Gairloch was called Tigh Dige or Moat House. It was in a hollow below the present mansion and had a moat and drawbridge.

The present house was built in 1738 for Sir Alexander Mackenzie and was the first in the district to have a slated roof. The house was then named Tigh Digh nam gorm Leac, Moat House of the blue slates. It was extended in 1904 by Andrew Maitland & Sons

In 1745 the captain of a man-of-war, searching for Prince Charlie, invited the laird on board. The laird declined as he has was dining with guests on top of a high rock, Creag a Chait (the Cat's Rock), behind Tigh Dige but asked the captain to join them. The reply was a broadside to the house, the canon ball lodging in the gable end. Fraser of Foyers, fleeing after Culloden, was hidden for some time in a secret recess in the house.

In September 1921 the Prime Minister, David Lloyd George, was staying at Flowerdale House when he heard that Ireland had rejected the King and Empire. He called the cabinet at Inverness, the first time it had ever met outside London.

Osgood Mackenzie (1842-1922), Hector's descendant, writing in 1922, states that tourists seeing the profusion of wild flowers in the lovely Baile Mor (Big Town or Village) Glen suggested it should be named Flowerdale but that during his life the house was only ever called Tigh Dige and the place Am Baile Mor.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Flowerdale from the Post Office, Gairloch

ROSS: Gairloch

landscapes; glens

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

A view of Flowerdale from the Post Office at Gairloch. This lovely glen, just inland from Gairloch's harbour at Charlestown, is where the Mackenzies of Gairloch have their family seat, Flowerdale House.<br /> <br /> A newer road and bridge bypass the bridge in this photograph and the house on the other side is now an inn. A walk from here passes Flowerdale House and then carries on through the glen, which is rich in plant and animal life, and up the river, Abhainn Ghlas, to a waterfall.<br /> <br /> The original house at Gairloch was called Tigh Dige or Moat House. It was in a hollow below the present mansion and had a moat and drawbridge.<br /> <br /> The present house was built in 1738 for Sir Alexander Mackenzie and was the first in the district to have a slated roof. The house was then named Tigh Digh nam gorm Leac, Moat House of the blue slates. It was extended in 1904 by Andrew Maitland & Sons<br /> <br /> In 1745 the captain of a man-of-war, searching for Prince Charlie, invited the laird on board. The laird declined as he has was dining with guests on top of a high rock, Creag a Chait (the Cat's Rock), behind Tigh Dige but asked the captain to join them. The reply was a broadside to the house, the canon ball lodging in the gable end. Fraser of Foyers, fleeing after Culloden, was hidden for some time in a secret recess in the house.<br /> <br /> In September 1921 the Prime Minister, David Lloyd George, was staying at Flowerdale House when he heard that Ireland had rejected the King and Empire. He called the cabinet at Inverness, the first time it had ever met outside London.<br /> <br /> Osgood Mackenzie (1842-1922), Hector's descendant, writing in 1922, states that tourists seeing the profusion of wild flowers in the lovely Baile Mor (Big Town or Village) Glen suggested it should be named Flowerdale but that during his life the house was only ever called Tigh Dige and the place Am Baile Mor. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>