Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Dornie Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_1026
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kintail
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
6330
KEYWORDS
boats
ferries
piers
ferry boats
The Dornie Ferry

A photograph of John MacRae crossing on the Dornie Ferry with his car.

The small village of Dornie is situated at the foot of Loch Long and Loch Duich, and was originally laid out as a fishing/trading station in 1794 by the British Fisheries Society.

Dornie was connected to Lochalsh by means of a ferry that crossed to Ardelve. The Aird or Dornie Ferry operated from Ardelve to both Dornie and across Loch Duich to Totaig at least until the beginning of the 20th century. In the final year of operation, the ferry ran from 8 am to 8 pm daily, including Sundays and Bank holidays.

A bridge across Loch Long from Dornie to Ardelve replaced the ferry and was opened as a toll bridge on 30 April 1940. The tolls were abolished in 1946 and a more modern bridge was subsequently built in 1990


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Dornie Ferry

ROSS: Kintail

boats; ferries; piers; ferry boats

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

A photograph of John MacRae crossing on the Dornie Ferry with his car.<br /> <br /> The small village of Dornie is situated at the foot of Loch Long and Loch Duich, and was originally laid out as a fishing/trading station in 1794 by the British Fisheries Society.<br /> <br /> Dornie was connected to Lochalsh by means of a ferry that crossed to Ardelve. The Aird or Dornie Ferry operated from Ardelve to both Dornie and across Loch Duich to Totaig at least until the beginning of the 20th century. In the final year of operation, the ferry ran from 8 am to 8 pm daily, including Sundays and Bank holidays.<br /> <br /> A bridge across Loch Long from Dornie to Ardelve replaced the ferry and was opened as a toll bridge on 30 April 1940. The tolls were abolished in 1946 and a more modern bridge was subsequently built in 1990 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>