Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Village, Poolewe
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_1104
PLACENAME
Poolewe
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
6423
KEYWORDS
villages
settlements
The Village, Poolewe

A view of the village of Poolewe, a small village situated on the banks of Loch Ewe, a sea-loch on the west coast of Scotland.

Despite its small size, Poolewe once had some regional significance. As early as 1610, Poolewe was home to an iron furnace, utilizing the charcoal produced from the surrounding woodlands. This operation was short-lived, however, most likely due to the depletion of the surrounding woodlands. By the early nineteenth century, Poolewe had become established as the port of entry for cattle from the islands of Harris and Lewis. Despite this, the first proper road did not reach Poolewe until 1852.

While the town may have lost its industrial and agricultural significance, its proximity to the famous Inverewe Gardens means that it is popular stop on the tourist trail.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Village, Poolewe

ROSS: Gairloch

villages; settlements

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

A view of the village of Poolewe, a small village situated on the banks of Loch Ewe, a sea-loch on the west coast of Scotland. <br /> <br /> Despite its small size, Poolewe once had some regional significance. As early as 1610, Poolewe was home to an iron furnace, utilizing the charcoal produced from the surrounding woodlands. This operation was short-lived, however, most likely due to the depletion of the surrounding woodlands. By the early nineteenth century, Poolewe had become established as the port of entry for cattle from the islands of Harris and Lewis. Despite this, the first proper road did not reach Poolewe until 1852. <br /> <br /> While the town may have lost its industrial and agricultural significance, its proximity to the famous Inverewe Gardens means that it is popular stop on the tourist trail. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>