Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fire at Inverewe House
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_1397
PLACENAME
Inverewe
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
DATE OF IMAGE
1914
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
6767
KEYWORDS
fires
disasters
emergency services
Fire at Inverewe House

This photograph shows the fire which destroyed Osgood Mackenzie's original Inverewe House on Saturday 25 April 1914. The house was rebuilt on the same site by Osgood's daughter, Mairi (Sawyer), work started in 1935.

The original Inverewe House was built in the Scottish Baronial style in 1870 by Osgood Mackenzie, the son of Sir Francis Mackenzie, laird of Gairloch, and the founder of Inverewe Gardens. The house was built on the original estate, which covered 12,000 acres, in 1862.

The estate currently stands at some 2,200 acres. Both the house and the renowned Inverewe Gardens were bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland by Osgood Mackenzie's daughter, in 1952.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fire at Inverewe House

ROSS: Gairloch

1910s

fires; disasters; emergency services

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

This photograph shows the fire which destroyed Osgood Mackenzie's original Inverewe House on Saturday 25 April 1914. The house was rebuilt on the same site by Osgood's daughter, Mairi (Sawyer), work started in 1935.<br /> <br /> The original Inverewe House was built in the Scottish Baronial style in 1870 by Osgood Mackenzie, the son of Sir Francis Mackenzie, laird of Gairloch, and the founder of Inverewe Gardens. The house was built on the original estate, which covered 12,000 acres, in 1862.<br /> <br /> The estate currently stands at some 2,200 acres. Both the house and the renowned Inverewe Gardens were bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland by Osgood Mackenzie's daughter, in 1952. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>