Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Grant of land at Doomsdale, 19th March 1516 (Back)
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_2002_033_2
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
19 March 1516
PERIOD
1510s
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
715
KEYWORDS
charters
legal
law
documents
land rights
property rights
seals
burghs
Grant of land at Doomsdale, 19th March 1516 (Back)

This document records a land transaction dated 19th March 1516 between Andrew Low and Henry Symondson, burgess of Inverness. Doomsdale, also referred to in documents as 'Doomesdale', 'Dymisdail', Dymisdale, 'Domysdail', Dymisdall, 'Domisdaill', 'Dymingisdale', 'Dammysdaile, Demyngisdall, 'Damisdaille' and 'Damysdale' was the area around Castle Street.



The image shows the back of the document.



In his 1875 publication, 'Invernessiana: Contributions Toward a History of the Town and Parish of Inverness, from 1160 to 1599' (pp 195-196), Charles Fraser-Mackintosh translates and paraphrases the original Latin document thus:



[For a glossary of some of the terms used in the Inverness burgh documents please follow the link towards the foot of this page]



'At Inverness, on the 19th March 1516, Andrew Low, son and heir of the late Lawrence Faber, sells to the prudent man, Henry Symondson, burgess of the burgh of Inverness, a piece of land lying within the burgh of Inverness, and on the east side of the Doomsdale Street, which piece lies between the land of Finlay Bane at the south, on the one side, and the land of Eugenius Faber at the north, on the other, whose front extends to the King's highway at the west, and the back to the land of the foresaid Henry. The reddendo is 2½d yearly to our Supreme Lord the King, and to Thomas Donaldson, his heirs and assignees, 18d at the two usual terms in the year, by equal portions. The honourable man, John Bar, one of the bailies, gives sasine and appends his seal. John Scot, priest of the diocese of Moray, is the notary, and the witnesses are, the discreet men Jas. Symondson, bailie; John Ostlar, burgess; James Dingwall, Andrew Sinclair, Alex. Blak, Mair, and Robert Waus, notary public; with others divers called and also required.'



Accession Number: INVMG 2002.033



Glossary

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Grant of land at Doomsdale, 19th March 1516 (Back)

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1510s

charters; legal; law; documents; land rights; property rights; seals; burghs

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Inverness Burgh Documents (1)

This document records a land transaction dated 19th March 1516 between Andrew Low and Henry Symondson, burgess of Inverness. Doomsdale, also referred to in documents as 'Doomesdale', 'Dymisdail', Dymisdale, 'Domysdail', Dymisdall, 'Domisdaill', 'Dymingisdale', 'Dammysdaile, Demyngisdall, 'Damisdaille' and 'Damysdale' was the area around Castle Street.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> The image shows the back of the document.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> In his 1875 publication, 'Invernessiana: Contributions Toward a History of the Town and Parish of Inverness, from 1160 to 1599' (pp 195-196), Charles Fraser-Mackintosh translates and paraphrases the original Latin document thus:<br /><br /> <br /><br /> [For a glossary of some of the terms used in the Inverness burgh documents please follow the link towards the foot of this page]<br /><br /> <br /><br /> 'At Inverness, on the 19th March 1516, Andrew Low, son and heir of the late Lawrence Faber, sells to the prudent man, Henry Symondson, burgess of the burgh of Inverness, a piece of land lying within the burgh of Inverness, and on the east side of the Doomsdale Street, which piece lies between the land of Finlay Bane at the south, on the one side, and the land of Eugenius Faber at the north, on the other, whose front extends to the King's highway at the west, and the back to the land of the foresaid Henry. The reddendo is 2½d yearly to our Supreme Lord the King, and to Thomas Donaldson, his heirs and assignees, 18d at the two usual terms in the year, by equal portions. The honourable man, John Bar, one of the bailies, gives sasine and appends his seal. John Scot, priest of the diocese of Moray, is the notary, and the witnesses are, the discreet men Jas. Symondson, bailie; John Ostlar, burgess; James Dingwall, Andrew Sinclair, Alex. Blak, Mair, and Robert Waus, notary public; with others divers called and also required.'<br /><br /> <br /><br /> Accession Number: INVMG 2002.033 <br /><br /> <br /><br /> <a href="http://www.ambaile.org.uk/?service=asset&action=show_zoom_window_popup&language=en&asset=708&location=grid&asset_list=19947,708&basket_item_id=undefined" target=”_blank”>Glossary</a>