Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sasine of Land in Doomsdale, 3rd December, 1522 (Back)
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_2002_035_2
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
3 December 1522
PERIOD
1520s
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
723
KEYWORDS
charters
legal
law
documents
land rights
property rights
seals
burghs
Sasine of Land in Doomsdale, 3rd December, 1522 (Back)

This document records a land transaction between Eugine Faber and Henry Symondson, burgess of Inverness. Doomsdale, also referred to in documents as 'Doomesdale', 'Dymisdail', Dymisdale, 'Domysdail', Dymisdall, 'Domisdaill', 'Dymingisdale', 'Dammysdaile, Demyngisdall, 'Damisdaille' and 'Damysdale' was the area around Castle Street.

The image shows the back of the document.

In his 1875 publication, 'Invernessiana: Contributions Toward a History of the Town and Parish of Inverness, from 1160 to 1599' (pp 200-201), Charles Fraser-Mackintosh translates and paraphrases the original Latin document thus:

[For a glossary of some of the terms used in the Inverness burgh documents please follow the link towards the foot of this page]

'At Inverness, on the 3d day of December 1522, Eugine Faber sells to the honest man Henry Symondson, burgess of Inverness, a particate of burgage land built upon, lying within the burgh of Inverness, in the street called Doomsdale, and on the east side thereof, and which lies between the land of Patrick Brabiner at the north, and the land of the foresaid Henry at the south, whose front extends to the King's common highway at the west, and the back to the old ditch and the "Barnehyllis" at the east. The reddendo is our Sovereign Lord the King, 5d, at the two terms appointed within the burgh, and 2s at said terms, by equal portions, to the chaplain of St John the Baptist, who shall for the time be performing divine service within the Parish Church of Inverness. Andrew Auchlek, one of the bailies, gives sasine and appends his seal. The witnesses are the discreet men Master John Brown, Wm. Reid, Donald Cuthbert, John Ostlar, John Broun, John Dow, and Andrew Poip, officer, with divers others called and required. John Scot is notary.'

Accession Number: INVMG 2002.035

Glossary

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sasine of Land in Doomsdale, 3rd December, 1522 (Back)

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1520s

charters; legal; law; documents; land rights; property rights; seals; burghs

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Inverness Burgh Documents (1)

This document records a land transaction between Eugine Faber and Henry Symondson, burgess of Inverness. Doomsdale, also referred to in documents as 'Doomesdale', 'Dymisdail', Dymisdale, 'Domysdail', Dymisdall, 'Domisdaill', 'Dymingisdale', 'Dammysdaile, Demyngisdall, 'Damisdaille' and 'Damysdale' was the area around Castle Street.<br /> <br /> The image shows the back of the document.<br /> <br /> In his 1875 publication, 'Invernessiana: Contributions Toward a History of the Town and Parish of Inverness, from 1160 to 1599' (pp 200-201), Charles Fraser-Mackintosh translates and paraphrases the original Latin document thus:<br /> <br /> [For a glossary of some of the terms used in the Inverness burgh documents please follow the link towards the foot of this page]<br /> <br /> 'At Inverness, on the 3d day of December 1522, Eugine Faber sells to the honest man Henry Symondson, burgess of Inverness, a particate of burgage land built upon, lying within the burgh of Inverness, in the street called Doomsdale, and on the east side thereof, and which lies between the land of Patrick Brabiner at the north, and the land of the foresaid Henry at the south, whose front extends to the King's common highway at the west, and the back to the old ditch and the "Barnehyllis" at the east. The reddendo is our Sovereign Lord the King, 5d, at the two terms appointed within the burgh, and 2s at said terms, by equal portions, to the chaplain of St John the Baptist, who shall for the time be performing divine service within the Parish Church of Inverness. Andrew Auchlek, one of the bailies, gives sasine and appends his seal. The witnesses are the discreet men Master John Brown, Wm. Reid, Donald Cuthbert, John Ostlar, John Broun, John Dow, and Andrew Poip, officer, with divers others called and required. John Scot is notary.'<br /> <br /> Accession Number: INVMG 2002.035 <br /> <br /> <a href="http://www.ambaile.org.uk/?service=asset&action=show_zoom_window_popup&language=en&asset=708&location=grid&asset_list=19947,708&basket_item_id=undefined" target=”_blank”>Glossary</a>