Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Thurso Town Hall
EXTERNAL ID
CAITHHORZ_CAIMS_PHO155
PLACENAME
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
SOURCE
Caithness Horizons
ASSET ID
732
KEYWORDS
public buildings
civic buildings
town halls
Thurso Town Hall

This photograph shows Thurso's Town Hall, located on High Street, one of the main thoroughfares of the old town. The Town Hall, completed in 1870, was designed by J. Russell MacKenzie.

The town of Thurso was created a burgh of barony in 1633. In 1719 the burgh and the lands of Thurso were obtained by the Sinclairs of Ulbster, and in 1798 Sir John Sinclair (1754-1835), the financier and agriculturalist, laid out a 'new town' adjoining the original medieval burgh.

Construction of Thurso's 'new town' began around 1800. The streets were laid out on a regimented grid-pattern, in stark contrast to the older part of town nearer to Thurso Bay, of which High Street was a part.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Caithness Horizons

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Thurso Town Hall

CAITHNESS: Thurso

public buildings; civic buildings; town halls

Caithness Horizons

Caithness Horizons

This photograph shows Thurso's Town Hall, located on High Street, one of the main thoroughfares of the old town. The Town Hall, completed in 1870, was designed by J. Russell MacKenzie.<br /> <br /> The town of Thurso was created a burgh of barony in 1633. In 1719 the burgh and the lands of Thurso were obtained by the Sinclairs of Ulbster, and in 1798 Sir John Sinclair (1754-1835), the financier and agriculturalist, laid out a 'new town' adjoining the original medieval burgh. <br /> <br /> Construction of Thurso's 'new town' began around 1800. The streets were laid out on a regimented grid-pattern, in stark contrast to the older part of town nearer to Thurso Bay, of which High Street was a part. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: joannehowdle@caithnesshorizons.co.uk">Caithness Horizons</a><br />