Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
MV Lochnevis approaching Gairloch pier
EXTERNAL ID
GAIRLOCHM_2041
PLACENAME
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
SOURCE
Gairloch Heritage Museum
ASSET ID
7389
KEYWORDS
boats
ferries
piers
ferry boats
MV Lochnevis approaching Gairloch pier

MacBrayne’s Lochnevis approaching Gairloch pier. The date is uncertain but it is prior to 1952 since in that year a mainmast was added aft. Photos after 1960 show her with another change: a row of ten windows instead of the five seen here.

The Lochnevis, a diesel-electric ship, was built by Denny at Dumbarton for MacBraynes and she entered service in 1934. Her accommodation was of a very high standard and included lounges, dining rooms, smoking rooms and plenty of covered deck space. Her normal roster was between Mallaig and Portree but, additionally, she cruised to Gairloch and Loch Torridon and to Loch Scavaig on Skye. She was in Admiralty service during World War II and after that she served on a few different routes.

Minor alterations in 1956 included the installation of a flush hatch over her cargo hold which permitted the carriage of nine cars rather than six (all loaded laboriously by crane and slings). In 1970 she was sold to a Dutch firm and was scrapped in 1974.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Gairloch Heritage Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

MV Lochnevis approaching Gairloch pier

ROSS: Gairloch

boats; ferries; piers; ferry boats

Gairloch Heritage Museum

Gairloch Heritage Museum, Photograph Collection

MacBrayne’s Lochnevis approaching Gairloch pier. The date is uncertain but it is prior to 1952 since in that year a mainmast was added aft. Photos after 1960 show her with another change: a row of ten windows instead of the five seen here.<br /> <br /> The Lochnevis, a diesel-electric ship, was built by Denny at Dumbarton for MacBraynes and she entered service in 1934. Her accommodation was of a very high standard and included lounges, dining rooms, smoking rooms and plenty of covered deck space. Her normal roster was between Mallaig and Portree but, additionally, she cruised to Gairloch and Loch Torridon and to Loch Scavaig on Skye. She was in Admiralty service during World War II and after that she served on a few different routes. <br /> <br /> Minor alterations in 1956 included the installation of a flush hatch over her cargo hold which permitted the carriage of nine cars rather than six (all loaded laboriously by crane and slings). In 1970 she was sold to a Dutch firm and was scrapped in 1974.<br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: info@gairlochheritagemuseum.org">Gairloch Heritage Museum</a>