Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Land League monument at Gartymore
EXTERNAL ID
GART_014
PLACENAME
Gartymore
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Kildonan
SOURCE
Timespan - Helmsdale
ASSET ID
7921
KEYWORDS
land agitation
Land League monument at Gartymore

A photograph of the Land League Monument at Gartymore, near Helmsdale. The monument was erected on the croft of John Fraser in 1981. He had been a leading light in the land reform movement.

A crofting community in Sutherland, Gartymore was at the centre of the Crofters War, which swept the Highlands in the late nineteenth century. A number of individuals from the community were instrumental in establishing the inaugural branch of the Land League Movement and forcing through the Crofting Act of 1886.

The Gartymore story exhibition at Timespan in Helmsdale tells the story of crofting families who lived and worked on the east coast of Sutherland.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Land League monument at Gartymore

SUTHERLAND: Kildonan

land agitation

Timespan - Helmsdale

The Gartymore Story

A photograph of the Land League Monument at Gartymore, near Helmsdale. The monument was erected on the croft of John Fraser in 1981. He had been a leading light in the land reform movement. <br /> <br /> A crofting community in Sutherland, Gartymore was at the centre of the Crofters War, which swept the Highlands in the late nineteenth century. A number of individuals from the community were instrumental in establishing the inaugural branch of the Land League Movement and forcing through the Crofting Act of 1886. <br /> <br /> The Gartymore story exhibition at Timespan in Helmsdale tells the story of crofting families who lived and worked on the east coast of Sutherland.