Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plan of Nairn Parish Church (Front Elevation)
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_BN6_3_3
PLACENAME
Nairn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Nairn
DATE OF IMAGE
1893
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
John Starforth
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
7979
KEYWORDS
architecture
plans
buildings
churches
architectural drawings
zoomable

The Old Parish Church, Academy Street, Nairn, was designed by John Starforth, an Edinburgh-based architect. The land had been donated by Lt.-Col. Clarke of Achareidh and the first turf was cut by Mrs Clarke on 28 March 1894. The foundation stone was laid on 29 August 1894 and the building completed in July 1897.

The church is early Gothic style with transepts, organ chamber, vestry, session house, a large square tower, belfry, and 1200 sittings. The building cost £9500. It was opened and dedicated for public worship by Rev Dr Scott of St George's, Edinburgh, ex-Moderator of the General Assembly.

The plans are part of the records of the Nairn Dean of Guild Court. These courts originated in mediaeval times. A guild was a group of merchants, who were influential citizens in the burgh. Their president, known as the Dean, had a role similar to that of a magistrate. The courts were responsible for enforcing building regulations in the burgh, a function now carried out by local authority building control departments. Plans for new buildings or alterations to existing ones had to be submitted to the Dean of Guild for approval


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plan of Nairn Parish Church (Front Elevation)

NAIRN: Nairn

1890s

architecture; plans; buildings; churches; architectural drawings; zoomable

Highland Archive Centre

Dean of Guild Plans

The Old Parish Church, Academy Street, Nairn, was designed by John Starforth, an Edinburgh-based architect. The land had been donated by Lt.-Col. Clarke of Achareidh and the first turf was cut by Mrs Clarke on 28 March 1894. The foundation stone was laid on 29 August 1894 and the building completed in July 1897.<br /> <br /> The church is early Gothic style with transepts, organ chamber, vestry, session house, a large square tower, belfry, and 1200 sittings. The building cost £9500. It was opened and dedicated for public worship by Rev Dr Scott of St George's, Edinburgh, ex-Moderator of the General Assembly.<br /> <br /> The plans are part of the records of the Nairn Dean of Guild Court. These courts originated in mediaeval times. A guild was a group of merchants, who were influential citizens in the burgh. Their president, known as the Dean, had a role similar to that of a magistrate. The courts were responsible for enforcing building regulations in the burgh, a function now carried out by local authority building control departments. Plans for new buildings or alterations to existing ones had to be submitted to the Dean of Guild for approval <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service