Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plan of Station Hotel, Nairn (Elevation to Leopold Street)
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_BN6_3_13
PLACENAME
Nairn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Nairn
DATE OF IMAGE
1896
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
Duncan Cameron
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
7986
KEYWORDS
architecture
plans
buildings
hotels
architectural drawings
zoomable

This building, now known as the Highland Hotel, is situated on the corner of High Street and Leopold Street in Nairn. It was designed by Duncan Cameron and built in 1896 of red sandstone.

Leopold Street was formerly known as Pole Road. Its name was changed in honour of HRH Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg who visited the town in 1819. The prince was also given the Freedom of the Burgh and made a Guild Brother of Nairn.

The plans are part of the records of the Nairn Dean of Guild Court. These courts originated in mediaeval times. A guild was a group of merchants, who were influential citizens in the burgh. Their president, known as the Dean, had a role similar to that of a magistrate. The courts were responsible for enforcing building regulations in the burgh, a function now carried out by local authority building control departments. Plans for new buildings or alterations to existing ones had to be submitted to the Dean of Guild for approval


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plan of Station Hotel, Nairn (Elevation to Leopold Street)

NAIRN: Nairn

1890s

architecture; plans; buildings; hotels; architectural drawings; zoomable

Highland Archive Centre

Dean of Guild Plans

This building, now known as the Highland Hotel, is situated on the corner of High Street and Leopold Street in Nairn. It was designed by Duncan Cameron and built in 1896 of red sandstone.<br /> <br /> Leopold Street was formerly known as Pole Road. Its name was changed in honour of HRH Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg who visited the town in 1819. The prince was also given the Freedom of the Burgh and made a Guild Brother of Nairn.<br /> <br /> The plans are part of the records of the Nairn Dean of Guild Court. These courts originated in mediaeval times. A guild was a group of merchants, who were influential citizens in the burgh. Their president, known as the Dean, had a role similar to that of a magistrate. The courts were responsible for enforcing building regulations in the burgh, a function now carried out by local authority building control departments. Plans for new buildings or alterations to existing ones had to be submitted to the Dean of Guild for approval <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service