Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plan of Kincraig Station, 1905
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_D501_23
PLACENAME
Kincraig
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Alvie
DATE OF IMAGE
1905
PERIOD
1900s
CREATOR
The Highland Railway
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8123
KEYWORDS
railways
railway stations
highland railway
zoomable images

This is a general plan of Kincraig railway station from April 1905.

The station opened to passenger & goods traffic on 9 September 1863 and remained in use for a century, closing to goods traffic on 18 May 1964 and to passenger traffic on 18 October 1965. The passing loop remains open and is controlled from Aviemore.

The settlement here was originally called Boat of Insh and this was the name originally given to the station but on 1 September 1871 the railway company renamed the station Kincraig, perhaps to signify the moment at which the ferry crossing of the River Spey was first replaced by a bridge. As happened in other places, the name of the village followed the name of the railway station.


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plan of Kincraig Station, 1905

INVERNESS: Alvie

1900s

railways; railway stations; highland railway; zoomable images

Highland Archive Centre

Highland Railway Society (maps 1)

This is a general plan of Kincraig railway station from April 1905.<br /> <br /> The station opened to passenger & goods traffic on 9 September 1863 and remained in use for a century, closing to goods traffic on 18 May 1964 and to passenger traffic on 18 October 1965. The passing loop remains open and is controlled from Aviemore.<br /> <br /> The settlement here was originally called Boat of Insh and this was the name originally given to the station but on 1 September 1871 the railway company renamed the station Kincraig, perhaps to signify the moment at which the ferry crossing of the River Spey was first replaced by a bridge. As happened in other places, the name of the village followed the name of the railway station. <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service