Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Diagram of Highland Railway 4-4-0 passenger locomotive No.73 "Snaigow"
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_D501_26
DATE OF IMAGE
1916
PERIOD
1910s
CREATOR
The Highland Railway
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8127
KEYWORDS
railways
highland railway
railway engines
railway locomotives
zoomable

This is a diagram of Highland Railway 4-4-0 passenger locomotive No.73, 'Snaigow'. The scale of the plan is one quarter of an inch to one foot. It is dated November 1916.

In July 1915 the Locomotive Committee of the Highland Railway requested its Locomotive Superintendent, F.G. Smith, submit a design for a superheated 4-4-0 engine similar to the existing 'Loch' class to work on the mail trains between Inverness and Wick. These engines were never built because Smith resigned in September of that year after falling out with the company's Chief Civil Engineer, Alexander Newlands, over Smith's 'River' class locos.

However, the idea wasn't dropped and new designs were submitted to the manufacturers Hawthorn, Leslie by Smith's successor, Christopher Cumming. The order was placed in early 1916 and the engines were delivered before the end of the year. They were given numbers 73 & 74 and named 'Snaigow' and 'Durn' after the residences of two of the company's directors (W.H. Cox of Snaigow, Murthly; and A.E. Pullar of Durn, Perth).

These engines featured 6 feet 3 inch coupled wheels and weighed almost 55 tons (98 tons including the tender). They initially had boilers pressed to 160 lb psi but this was increased to 175 lb psi in 1922.

Both locos passed into LMS ownership and were given the Power Classification '3p'. They were renumbered 14522 (73) and 14523 (74) and continued to work on the line north of Inverness until the late 1920s. From 1929 they worked mostly out of Aviemore shed until 'Durn' was withdrawn in 1935, followed by 'Snaigow' a year later.


Further Reading:
"Highland Railway Locomotives" by Cormack & Stevenson (1990)
"History of Highland Locomotives" by Tatlow (1989)


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Diagram of Highland Railway 4-4-0 passenger locomotive No.73 "Snaigow"

1910s

railways; highland railway; railway engines; railway locomotives; zoomable

Highland Archive Centre

Highland Railway Society (maps 1)

This is a diagram of Highland Railway 4-4-0 passenger locomotive No.73, 'Snaigow'. The scale of the plan is one quarter of an inch to one foot. It is dated November 1916.<br /> <br /> In July 1915 the Locomotive Committee of the Highland Railway requested its Locomotive Superintendent, F.G. Smith, submit a design for a superheated 4-4-0 engine similar to the existing 'Loch' class to work on the mail trains between Inverness and Wick. These engines were never built because Smith resigned in September of that year after falling out with the company's Chief Civil Engineer, Alexander Newlands, over Smith's 'River' class locos.<br /> <br /> However, the idea wasn't dropped and new designs were submitted to the manufacturers Hawthorn, Leslie by Smith's successor, Christopher Cumming. The order was placed in early 1916 and the engines were delivered before the end of the year. They were given numbers 73 & 74 and named 'Snaigow' and 'Durn' after the residences of two of the company's directors (W.H. Cox of Snaigow, Murthly; and A.E. Pullar of Durn, Perth).<br /> <br /> These engines featured 6 feet 3 inch coupled wheels and weighed almost 55 tons (98 tons including the tender). They initially had boilers pressed to 160 lb psi but this was increased to 175 lb psi in 1922.<br /> <br /> Both locos passed into LMS ownership and were given the Power Classification '3p'. They were renumbered 14522 (73) and 14523 (74) and continued to work on the line north of Inverness until the late 1920s. From 1929 they worked mostly out of Aviemore shed until 'Durn' was withdrawn in 1935, followed by 'Snaigow' a year later.<br /> <br /> <br /> Further Reading: <br /> "Highland Railway Locomotives" by Cormack & Stevenson (1990)<br /> "History of Highland Locomotives" by Tatlow (1989) <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service