Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plan of Pitlochry Station
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_D501_31
PLACENAME
Pitlochry
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Moulin
CREATOR
London, Midland & Scottish Railway
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8139
KEYWORDS
railways
railway stations
highland railway
zoomable

This is a plan of Pitlochry Station and surrounding area. The plan is undated; however, the subtitle "LMS Northern Division, Northern District" indicates that it was probably drawn up between 1923, when the Highland Railway was incorporated in the London Midland and Scottish Railway, and 1948, when Britain's railways were nationalised. It has recently been brought to our attention that because a 'Char-a-banc' stance is identified on the map, the date would be nearer 1923 than 1948.

Pitlochry station was opened on 1 June 1863. It is still served by regular passenger services although it was closed to goods traffic in June 1983. It is a two platform station with a passing loop. The goods shed has been demolished but a siding remains. The station retains its fine main buildings, footbridge, north signal box and wooden platform extensions to the south end.

In addition to the station buildings shown, the plan includes houses, shops, hotels and other buildings, including the Blair Atholl distillery.


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plan of Pitlochry Station

PERTH: Moulin

railways; railway stations; highland railway; zoomable

Highland Archive Centre

Highland Railway Society (maps 1)

This is a plan of Pitlochry Station and surrounding area. The plan is undated; however, the subtitle "LMS Northern Division, Northern District" indicates that it was probably drawn up between 1923, when the Highland Railway was incorporated in the London Midland and Scottish Railway, and 1948, when Britain's railways were nationalised. It has recently been brought to our attention that because a 'Char-a-banc' stance is identified on the map, the date would be nearer 1923 than 1948.<br /> <br /> Pitlochry station was opened on 1 June 1863. It is still served by regular passenger services although it was closed to goods traffic in June 1983. It is a two platform station with a passing loop. The goods shed has been demolished but a siding remains. The station retains its fine main buildings, footbridge, north signal box and wooden platform extensions to the south end. <br /> <br /> In addition to the station buildings shown, the plan includes houses, shops, hotels and other buildings, including the Blair Atholl distillery. <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service