Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plan of the Oykel Viaduct at Invershin, 1915
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_D501_35
PLACENAME
Culrain / Invershin
DISTRICT
Tain / Dornoch & Criech
DATE OF IMAGE
March 1915
PERIOD
1910s
CREATOR
The Highland Railway
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8148
KEYWORDS
railways
highland railway
zoomable images

This is a plan of the Oykel Viaduct (sometimes known as the Shin Viaduct) which carries the railway line over the Kyle of Sutherland from Culrain to Invershin. It is reputably the longest single box section bridge in Europe.

Built in 1867, it has a 70.1 metre wrought iron lattice truss main span, with the railway running on top of the ironwork. It comprises five masonry arch approach spans, two on the south side and three on the north.

It was designed by Joseph Mitchell, engineer for The Highland Railway, and Murdoch Paterson who had been his assistant, and who succeeded him.

During 1912 and 1913 the viaduct was strengthened to accommodate the Highland Railway's Castles locomotives. It now has a walkway on the side of it which allows pedestrians to walk from Invershin to Culrain.


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plan of the Oykel Viaduct at Invershin, 1915

1910s

railways; highland railway; zoomable images

Highland Archive Centre

Highland Railway Society (maps 1)

This is a plan of the Oykel Viaduct (sometimes known as the Shin Viaduct) which carries the railway line over the Kyle of Sutherland from Culrain to Invershin. It is reputably the longest single box section bridge in Europe.<br /> <br /> Built in 1867, it has a 70.1 metre wrought iron lattice truss main span, with the railway running on top of the ironwork. It comprises five masonry arch approach spans, two on the south side and three on the north. <br /> <br /> It was designed by Joseph Mitchell, engineer for The Highland Railway, and Murdoch Paterson who had been his assistant, and who succeeded him.<br /> <br /> During 1912 and 1913 the viaduct was strengthened to accommodate the Highland Railway's Castles locomotives. It now has a walkway on the side of it which allows pedestrians to walk from Invershin to Culrain. <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service