Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plan of Bonar Bridge Station (now known as Ardgay Station)
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_D501_40
PLACENAME
Ardgay
DISTRICT
Tain
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kincardine
CREATOR
London, Midland & Scottish Railway
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8169
KEYWORDS
railways
railway stations
highland railway
zoomable

This is a plan of Bonar Bridge Station. It is undated although the heading "LMS Scottish Division, Highland District" indicates that it was probably drawn up between 1923, when the Highland Railway was incorporated into the London Midland and Scottish Railway, and 1948, when Britain's railways were nationalised. On 2 May 1977 the station's name was changed to Arday.

When the railway was being built from Inverness to the north of Scotland in the 1860s the owners of the land it passed through exercised considerable control over the route it took. Foremost among these landowners was the 3rd Duke of Sutherland. In order to open up the western parts of his estates he ensured that the line followed the south side of the Kyle of Sutherland inland to Lairg. As a result, Bonar Bridge station had to be built on the far side of the Kyle from the village of Bonar Bridge. The settlement that grew around the station became Ardgay.

Bonar Bridge was the northern terminus of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway until the Sutherland Railway extended it north and east to Golspie. Opened on 1 July 1870 it is still served by passenger trains although goods services ceased in January 1984.


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plan of Bonar Bridge Station (now known as Ardgay Station)

ROSS: Kincardine

railways; railway stations; highland railway; zoomable

Highland Archive Centre

Highland Railway Society (maps 1)

This is a plan of Bonar Bridge Station. It is undated although the heading "LMS Scottish Division, Highland District" indicates that it was probably drawn up between 1923, when the Highland Railway was incorporated into the London Midland and Scottish Railway, and 1948, when Britain's railways were nationalised. On 2 May 1977 the station's name was changed to Arday.<br /> <br /> When the railway was being built from Inverness to the north of Scotland in the 1860s the owners of the land it passed through exercised considerable control over the route it took. Foremost among these landowners was the 3rd Duke of Sutherland. In order to open up the western parts of his estates he ensured that the line followed the south side of the Kyle of Sutherland inland to Lairg. As a result, Bonar Bridge station had to be built on the far side of the Kyle from the village of Bonar Bridge. The settlement that grew around the station became Ardgay.<br /> <br /> Bonar Bridge was the northern terminus of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway until the Sutherland Railway extended it north and east to Golspie. Opened on 1 July 1870 it is still served by passenger trains although goods services ceased in January 1984. <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service