Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plan of Dunkeld Station
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_D501_41
PLACENAME
Dunkeld
DISTRICT
Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8173
KEYWORDS
railways
railway stations
highland railway
zoomable images

This is a plan of Dunkeld Station (originally known as Birnam). It is undated. The scale is 1 inch to 40 feet.

Dunkeld Station, designed by Andrew Heiton, a Perth architect, opened on 7 April 1856 as a terminus on the Perth and Dunkeld Railway. It was operated by the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. This was absorbed by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in February 1864 and the line was continued north to Forres. It is still served by passenger trains although goods services ceased in August 1969.

Dunkeld is a two platform station with a passing loop. The station building still stands but the timber roof was removed many years ago. There is an old lamp by the footbridge with the original company name on it (it was the last station in Scotland to be lit by gas) and the south signal box also remains. An original Highland Railway signal with a finial stands at the south end. The platforms are lower than standard.

The station's name has changed a number of times over the years. It was known as Birnam until 1 December 1861 when its name was changed to Dunkeld. On 1 January 1903 it was renamed Dunkeld and Birnam. It reverted to Dunkeld in the 1970s and subsequently back to Dunkeld and Birnam.

Dunkeld and Birnam are both villages which face one another across the River Tay, Birnam on the south bank, Dunkeld on the north. The station is closer to Birnam.


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plan of Dunkeld Station

PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally

railways; railway stations; highland railway; zoomable images

Highland Archive Centre

Highland Railway Society (maps 1)

This is a plan of Dunkeld Station (originally known as Birnam). It is undated. The scale is 1 inch to 40 feet.<br /> <br /> Dunkeld Station, designed by Andrew Heiton, a Perth architect, opened on 7 April 1856 as a terminus on the Perth and Dunkeld Railway. It was operated by the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. This was absorbed by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in February 1864 and the line was continued north to Forres. It is still served by passenger trains although goods services ceased in August 1969.<br /> <br /> Dunkeld is a two platform station with a passing loop. The station building still stands but the timber roof was removed many years ago. There is an old lamp by the footbridge with the original company name on it (it was the last station in Scotland to be lit by gas) and the south signal box also remains. An original Highland Railway signal with a finial stands at the south end. The platforms are lower than standard.<br /> <br /> The station's name has changed a number of times over the years. It was known as Birnam until 1 December 1861 when its name was changed to Dunkeld. On 1 January 1903 it was renamed Dunkeld and Birnam. It reverted to Dunkeld in the 1970s and subsequently back to Dunkeld and Birnam.<br /> <br /> Dunkeld and Birnam are both villages which face one another across the River Tay, Birnam on the south bank, Dunkeld on the north. The station is closer to Birnam. <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service