Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St Andrew's Church, Fortrose
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_DG_FORTROSE_141
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
1905
PERIOD
1900s
CREATOR
Ross & Macbeth
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8269
KEYWORDS
architecture
plans
buildings
baptistry
architectural drawings
zoomable images

These are the plans for the addition of a baptistry to St Andrew's Episcopal Church in Fortrose. The main body of the church was Ashlar built (large blocks of masonry with even faces and square edges) in 1828. Architects Ross & Macbeth designed the baptistry in 1904 and the chancel in 1907.

The plans are part of the records of the Dean of Guild Court. These courts originated in mediaeval times. A guild was a group of merchants, who were influential citizens in the burgh. Their president, known as the Dean, had a role similar to that of a magistrate. The courts were responsible for enforcing building regulations in the burgh, a function now carried out by local authority building control departments. Plans for new buildings or alterations to existing ones had to be submitted to the Dean of Guild for approval


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St Andrew's Church, Fortrose

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1900s

architecture; plans; buildings; baptistry; architectural drawings; zoomable images

Highland Archive Centre

Dean of Guild Plans

These are the plans for the addition of a baptistry to St Andrew's Episcopal Church in Fortrose. The main body of the church was Ashlar built (large blocks of masonry with even faces and square edges) in 1828. Architects Ross & Macbeth designed the baptistry in 1904 and the chancel in 1907.<br /> <br /> The plans are part of the records of the Dean of Guild Court. These courts originated in mediaeval times. A guild was a group of merchants, who were influential citizens in the burgh. Their president, known as the Dean, had a role similar to that of a magistrate. The courts were responsible for enforcing building regulations in the burgh, a function now carried out by local authority building control departments. Plans for new buildings or alterations to existing ones had to be submitted to the Dean of Guild for approval <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service