Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Burnett's Bakery: first floor plan
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_DG_INV_BUR
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1929
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8276
KEYWORDS
architecture
plans
buildings
bakers
bakeries
zoomable

This plan, dated 1929, shows additions and alterations to Burnett's Bakery. The plan shows the proposed extension of the bakehouse and the coffee room. It was drawn in 1929 by Thomas J. Munro, architect and surveyor, of 62 Academy Street, Inverness. Plans for new buildings or alterations to existing ones had to be submitted to the Dean of Guild for approval.

Burnett Bros, originally from Dundee, took over the bakery business of William Milne & Sons, 29 High Street, in October 1897. An advert from April 1922 shows that the business was operating from 53 High Street but by the end of that year, a new shop in Academy Street had been opened. This new premises included two well-equipped bakeries, dining room, tea room and smoke and coffee room.

In 1928 Burnett Bros was granted permission to extend and alter the premises at 44 & 46 Academy Street. The bakehouse and front shop were extended, and a large dining/function room was created on the first floor. A new kitchen was also installed. In 1935, permission was granted to erect a new bakery at Longman Road. Burnett's was eventually bought by British Bakeries and closed in 1999.


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Burnett's Bakery: first floor plan

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

architecture; plans; buildings; bakers; bakeries; zoomable

Highland Archive Centre

Dean of Guild Plans

This plan, dated 1929, shows additions and alterations to Burnett's Bakery. The plan shows the proposed extension of the bakehouse and the coffee room. It was drawn in 1929 by Thomas J. Munro, architect and surveyor, of 62 Academy Street, Inverness. Plans for new buildings or alterations to existing ones had to be submitted to the Dean of Guild for approval.<br /> <br /> Burnett Bros, originally from Dundee, took over the bakery business of William Milne & Sons, 29 High Street, in October 1897. An advert from April 1922 shows that the business was operating from 53 High Street but by the end of that year, a new shop in Academy Street had been opened. This new premises included two well-equipped bakeries, dining room, tea room and smoke and coffee room. <br /> <br /> In 1928 Burnett Bros was granted permission to extend and alter the premises at 44 & 46 Academy Street. The bakehouse and front shop were extended, and a large dining/function room was created on the first floor. A new kitchen was also installed. In 1935, permission was granted to erect a new bakery at Longman Road. Burnett's was eventually bought by British Bakeries and closed in 1999. <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service