Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
R.M.S Columba, 1908
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_HCA_D81
DATE OF IMAGE
1908
PERIOD
1900s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8346
KEYWORDS
ferries
boats
steamers
Caledonian MacBrayne
Cal Mac
Royal Mail
Royal Route
R.M.S Columba, 1908

This illustration was on the front cover of the Time Table and Fare List of David MacBrayne's Caledonian Canal steamers.

In 1851 David and Alexander Hutcheson and David MacBrayne took over a small shipping company. In the 1870s the Hutcheson brothers retired leaving the company to David MacBrayne.

RMS Columba, built by Messrs J & G Thomson, was owned by MacBraynes and was in operation between 1878 and 1935. She was over 300ft (92m) long and had a barber and a post office on board. RMS Columba was used on the Tarbert to Ardrishaig route which was part of the 'Royal Route' used by Queen Victoria through the Crinan Canal and the Caledonian Canal.

David MacBrayne's Ltd later became Caledonian MacBrayne who now sail to 22 Scottish islands


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

R.M.S Columba, 1908

1900s

ferries; boats; steamers; Caledonian MacBrayne; Cal Mac; Royal Mail; Royal Route

Highland Archive Centre

This illustration was on the front cover of the Time Table and Fare List of David MacBrayne's Caledonian Canal steamers.<br /> <br /> In 1851 David and Alexander Hutcheson and David MacBrayne took over a small shipping company. In the 1870s the Hutcheson brothers retired leaving the company to David MacBrayne.<br /> <br /> RMS Columba, built by Messrs J & G Thomson, was owned by MacBraynes and was in operation between 1878 and 1935. She was over 300ft (92m) long and had a barber and a post office on board. RMS Columba was used on the Tarbert to Ardrishaig route which was part of the 'Royal Route' used by Queen Victoria through the Crinan Canal and the Caledonian Canal.<br /> <br /> David MacBrayne's Ltd later became Caledonian MacBrayne who now sail to 22 Scottish islands <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service