Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Billhead of Campbelll & Co, Beauly
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_HC_D594_CAMPBELL
PLACENAME
Beauly
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
DATE OF IMAGE
1920
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8351
KEYWORDS
bills
billheads
stores
shops
butchers
ephemera
tweed house
tweed houses
royalty
Billhead of Campbelll & Co, Beauly

This is the billhead of Campbell and Co. Highland Tweed House in Beauly. The bill was issued on 21st November, 1920. The billhead advertises 'Real Harris. Shetland & Homespun Tweeds. Real Vicuna & Lovat Tweeds.'

The trademark on the left states that the shop is 'under Royal and Imperial Patronage.' Royal Warrant holders supplied goods to senior members of the Royal Family. Established in 1858, the Highland Tweed House was renowned for supplying goods and services to Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. Campbells of Beauly is still in business today.

Billheads were used in business transactions from about the 18th century until the middle of the 20th century. In its later years it evolved into the letterhead and was also used for correspondence. The billhead developed from what was known as the trade card and in addition to serving as an invoice and receipt it was also a means of advertising business. In general, billheads consisted of the company name, trade, trademark and address. Also included was an invoice number, terms of payment, a list of items bought and an invoice total. Some billheads also printed an illustration of the shop or factory and a list of products sold such as hats, shoes or tobacco.


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Billhead of Campbelll & Co, Beauly

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

1920s

bills; billheads; stores; shops; butchers; ephemera; tweed house; tweed houses; royalty

Highland Archive Centre

This is the billhead of Campbell and Co. Highland Tweed House in Beauly. The bill was issued on 21st November, 1920. The billhead advertises 'Real Harris. Shetland & Homespun Tweeds. Real Vicuna & Lovat Tweeds.'<br /> <br /> The trademark on the left states that the shop is 'under Royal and Imperial Patronage.' Royal Warrant holders supplied goods to senior members of the Royal Family. Established in 1858, the Highland Tweed House was renowned for supplying goods and services to Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. Campbells of Beauly is still in business today.<br /> <br /> Billheads were used in business transactions from about the 18th century until the middle of the 20th century. In its later years it evolved into the letterhead and was also used for correspondence. The billhead developed from what was known as the trade card and in addition to serving as an invoice and receipt it was also a means of advertising business. In general, billheads consisted of the company name, trade, trademark and address. Also included was an invoice number, terms of payment, a list of items bought and an invoice total. Some billheads also printed an illustration of the shop or factory and a list of products sold such as hats, shoes or tobacco. <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service