Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Billhead of J. Graham & Co, Gun & Rifle Makers, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_HC_D594_GRAHAM
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1918
PERIOD
1910s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8357
KEYWORDS
gunmakers
billheads
sport
fishing
Billhead of J. Graham & Co, Gun & Rifle Makers, Inverness

This is the billhead of J. Graham and Co. of Inverness. The billhead advertises the shop as being located at 27 Union Street and being able to accommodate 'every sporting requisite'. It specialised in gun and rifle making and as the illustration on the billhead suggests, it was also a fishing rod, reel and tackle manufacturer. The bill was issued on 17th August 1918.

Established in 1857, the business is still thriving today and is now located on Castle Street.

Billheads were used in business transactions from about the 18th century until the middle of the 20th century. In its later years it evolved into the letterhead and was also used for correspondence. The billhead developed from what was known as the trade card and in addition to serving as an invoice and receipt it was also a means of advertising business. In general, billheads consisted of the company name, trade, trademark and address. Also included was an invoice number, terms of payment, a list of items bought and an invoice total. Some billheads also printed an illustration of the shop or factory and a list of products sold such as hats, shoes or tobacco.


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Billhead of J. Graham & Co, Gun & Rifle Makers, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1910s

gunmakers; billheads; sport; fishing

Highland Archive Centre

This is the billhead of J. Graham and Co. of Inverness. The billhead advertises the shop as being located at 27 Union Street and being able to accommodate 'every sporting requisite'. It specialised in gun and rifle making and as the illustration on the billhead suggests, it was also a fishing rod, reel and tackle manufacturer. The bill was issued on 17th August 1918.<br /> <br /> Established in 1857, the business is still thriving today and is now located on Castle Street.<br /> <br /> Billheads were used in business transactions from about the 18th century until the middle of the 20th century. In its later years it evolved into the letterhead and was also used for correspondence. The billhead developed from what was known as the trade card and in addition to serving as an invoice and receipt it was also a means of advertising business. In general, billheads consisted of the company name, trade, trademark and address. Also included was an invoice number, terms of payment, a list of items bought and an invoice total. Some billheads also printed an illustration of the shop or factory and a list of products sold such as hats, shoes or tobacco. <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service