Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Billhead of Lovat Arms Hotel, Beauly
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_HC_D594_LOVAT_ARMS
PLACENAME
Beauly
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
DATE OF IMAGE
1911
PERIOD
1910s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8359
KEYWORDS
bills
billheads
hotels
Lovat Arms Hotel
Mathews & Lawrie
Fraser
Billhead of Lovat Arms Hotel, Beauly

This is the billhead of the Lovat Arms Hotel in Beauly. The bill was issued in 1911 and the proprieter is stated as J.W. MacRae. The illustration of the hotel acts as a form of advertising the company's trade. The Lovat Arms Hotel was built in1871 by the architects Mathews & Lawrie and is owned today by the Fraser family, the main clan in the Beauly area.

Billheads were used in business transactions from about the 18th century until the middle of the 20th century. In its later years it evolved into the letterhead and was also used for correspondence. The billhead developed from what was known as the trade card and in addition to serving as an invoice and receipt it was also a means of advertising business. In general, billheads included the company name, trade, trademark and address. Also included was an invoice number, terms of payment, a list of items bought and an invoice total. Some billheads also printed an illustration of the shop or factory and a list of products sold such as hats, shoes or tobacco.


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Billhead of Lovat Arms Hotel, Beauly

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

1910s

bills; billheads; hotels; Lovat Arms Hotel; Mathews & Lawrie; Fraser

Highland Archive Centre

This is the billhead of the Lovat Arms Hotel in Beauly. The bill was issued in 1911 and the proprieter is stated as J.W. MacRae. The illustration of the hotel acts as a form of advertising the company's trade. The Lovat Arms Hotel was built in1871 by the architects Mathews & Lawrie and is owned today by the Fraser family, the main clan in the Beauly area.<br /> <br /> Billheads were used in business transactions from about the 18th century until the middle of the 20th century. In its later years it evolved into the letterhead and was also used for correspondence. The billhead developed from what was known as the trade card and in addition to serving as an invoice and receipt it was also a means of advertising business. In general, billheads included the company name, trade, trademark and address. Also included was an invoice number, terms of payment, a list of items bought and an invoice total. Some billheads also printed an illustration of the shop or factory and a list of products sold such as hats, shoes or tobacco. <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service