Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Billhead of Pioneer Stores, Kyle Ferry, Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_HC_D594_PIONEER_STORES
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
1910
PERIOD
1910s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8361
KEYWORDS
bills
billheads
stores
shops
Billhead of Pioneer Stores, Kyle Ferry, Lochalsh

This is the billhead of Pioneer Stores, situated on Main Street in Kyle of Lochalsh. The bill was issued on the 20th November, 1910.

Pioneer Stores was housed in a corrugated iron building and was owned by Alexander MacRae, known as the Pioneer or Pie. He lived for some time at Stromeferry, but moved to Kyle when the railway was extended. His daughter, Johann, worked in the shop for many years. The Pioneer Stores was reputed to sell everything "from a needle to an anchor".

Billheads were used in business transactions from about the 18th century until the middle of the 20th century. In its later years it evolved into the letterhead and was also used for correspondence The billhead developed from what was known as the trade card and in addition to serving as an invoice and receipt it was also a means of advertising business. In general, billheads consisted of the company name, trade, trademark and address. Also included was an invoice number, terms of payment, a list of items bought and an invoice total. Some billheads also printed an illustration of the shop or factory and a list of products sold such as hats, shoes or tobacco.


For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Billhead of Pioneer Stores, Kyle Ferry, Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1910s

bills; billheads; stores; shops

Highland Archive Centre

This is the billhead of Pioneer Stores, situated on Main Street in Kyle of Lochalsh. The bill was issued on the 20th November, 1910. <br /> <br /> Pioneer Stores was housed in a corrugated iron building and was owned by Alexander MacRae, known as the Pioneer or Pie. He lived for some time at Stromeferry, but moved to Kyle when the railway was extended. His daughter, Johann, worked in the shop for many years. The Pioneer Stores was reputed to sell everything "from a needle to an anchor".<br /> <br /> Billheads were used in business transactions from about the 18th century until the middle of the 20th century. In its later years it evolved into the letterhead and was also used for correspondence The billhead developed from what was known as the trade card and in addition to serving as an invoice and receipt it was also a means of advertising business. In general, billheads consisted of the company name, trade, trademark and address. Also included was an invoice number, terms of payment, a list of items bought and an invoice total. Some billheads also printed an illustration of the shop or factory and a list of products sold such as hats, shoes or tobacco. <br /> <br /> <br /> For further information about this item and the collection to which it belongs, please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service