Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Two small sailing boats
EXTERNAL ID
CAITHHORZ_CAIMS_PHO321
PLACENAME
Caithness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS
SOURCE
Caithness Horizons
ASSET ID
842
KEYWORDS
harbours
piers
boats
sailing boats
Two small sailing boats

Two small sailing boats often used for herring and cod fishing in the late 19th century. When it was one of the main herring ports in the north of Scotland, Wick harbour sheltered hundreds of boats. At times there were fifteen thousand people in Wick including the fishermen and the women cleaning and packing the fish.

In 1768, Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster built a quay at Wick in order to promote the town as a herring fishing centre. Progress was made with the intervention of the British Fisheries Society, harbour improvements made by Thomas Telford in 1810 and the building of an additional pier in 1831. The industry reached its peak between 1860 and 1890, when as many as 1000 boats were based at the harbour.

The fishing boats employed around 6000 fishermen and provided work for an additional 6000 workers, including women who gutted, salted and layered the herring.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Caithness Horizons

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Two small sailing boats

CAITHNESS

harbours; piers; boats; sailing boats

Caithness Horizons

Caithness Horizons

Two small sailing boats often used for herring and cod fishing in the late 19th century. When it was one of the main herring ports in the north of Scotland, Wick harbour sheltered hundreds of boats. At times there were fifteen thousand people in Wick including the fishermen and the women cleaning and packing the fish.<br /> <br /> In 1768, Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster built a quay at Wick in order to promote the town as a herring fishing centre. Progress was made with the intervention of the British Fisheries Society, harbour improvements made by Thomas Telford in 1810 and the building of an additional pier in 1831. The industry reached its peak between 1860 and 1890, when as many as 1000 boats were based at the harbour. <br /> <br /> The fishing boats employed around 6000 fishermen and provided work for an additional 6000 workers, including women who gutted, salted and layered the herring. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: joannehowdle@caithnesshorizons.co.uk">Caithness Horizons</a><br />