Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Motor Fuel Ration Book
EXTERNAL ID
Z_PC_WGORDON3_005_008
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
W Gordon
ASSET ID
8506
KEYWORDS
fuel ration books
ration books
World War II
fuel rationing
Motor Fuel Ration Book

This image shows the front cover of a motor fuel ration book, dating from World War II. In 1939, the British Government announced the rationing of both oil and petrol. Every car owner was issued with a motor fuel ration book and initially, the allowed amount was three gallons of fuel per week. This equated to around 200 miles of motoring per month. As a consequence of petrol shortages people began to make more use of public transport. Car sharing was also popular and those who displayed a poster in their car window, offering lifts, were entitled to an additional fuel allowance. Fuel rationing continued beyond the war years, until restrictions were finally lifted in 1950.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Motor Fuel Ration Book

1930s; 1940s

fuel ration books; ration books; World War II; fuel rationing

W Gordon

Winnie Gordon (documents)

This image shows the front cover of a motor fuel ration book, dating from World War II. In 1939, the British Government announced the rationing of both oil and petrol. Every car owner was issued with a motor fuel ration book and initially, the allowed amount was three gallons of fuel per week. This equated to around 200 miles of motoring per month. As a consequence of petrol shortages people began to make more use of public transport. Car sharing was also popular and those who displayed a poster in their car window, offering lifts, were entitled to an additional fuel allowance. Fuel rationing continued beyond the war years, until restrictions were finally lifted in 1950.