Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Lochalsh Hydro-Electric Pipeline
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_RAMSAY_D893_1_3_030
PLACENAME
Nostie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
2 October 1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8594
KEYWORDS
hydro-electric
Lochalsh
Nostie
reservoir
dam
Allt Gleann Udalain
pipeline
Lochalsh Hydro-Electric Pipeline

Looking south, this photograph shows a good view of the Lochalsh hydro-electric pipeline. The larger, single 33 inch diameter pipe runs from the dam across Allt Gleann Udalain, with the upper sections of the pipeline nearer the dam, completely encased in concrete. As seen here at the join, the pipeline changes to twin 24 inch pipes. Each angle is surrounded with concrete for additional support. In the distance is Loch Alsh.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric project for the Lochalsh area was situated at Nostie, six miles from Kyle of Lochalsh. Work began in 1946 after an official pole raising ceremony that May, and the station was energized in December 1948. Original plans showed two dams, but the terrain proved unsuitable, and one dam was built across Allt Gleann Udalain. The reservoir, dam and power station were constructed at the same time as progress was going ahead with the distribution network, and in laying underwater cables across Loch Duich, Loch Long, Loch Carron and Loch Alsh.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.

Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.

The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Lochalsh Hydro-Electric Pipeline

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s

hydro-electric; Lochalsh; Nostie; reservoir; dam; Allt Gleann Udalain; pipeline

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

William J Ramsay Archive

Looking south, this photograph shows a good view of the Lochalsh hydro-electric pipeline. The larger, single 33 inch diameter pipe runs from the dam across Allt Gleann Udalain, with the upper sections of the pipeline nearer the dam, completely encased in concrete. As seen here at the join, the pipeline changes to twin 24 inch pipes. Each angle is surrounded with concrete for additional support. In the distance is Loch Alsh.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric project for the Lochalsh area was situated at Nostie, six miles from Kyle of Lochalsh. Work began in 1946 after an official pole raising ceremony that May, and the station was energized in December 1948. Original plans showed two dams, but the terrain proved unsuitable, and one dam was built across Allt Gleann Udalain. The reservoir, dam and power station were constructed at the same time as progress was going ahead with the distribution network, and in laying underwater cables across Loch Duich, Loch Long, Loch Carron and Loch Alsh.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.<br /> <br /> Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.<br /> <br /> The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>