Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Storr Lochs Generating Station
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_RAMSAY_D893_1_4_003
PLACENAME
Storr Lochs
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
DATE OF IMAGE
4 April 1951
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8603
KEYWORDS
Storr Lochs
hydro-electric
pipeline
dam
generating station
Bearreraig Bay
Storr Lochs Generating Station

Wooden forms are in place for pouring concrete for the foundation of the generating station at Storr Lochs hydro-electric scheme. The station is situated at Bearreraig Bay in northeast Skye at the base of the 350 foot cliff. The sloping anchor block for the final section of the pipeline is on the left. To the left of this, out of view, is the inclined railway built to transport workers, materials and equipment to the generating station. The River Bearreraig is full of water, likely from spring rains. Once the dam reached final construction, the water was controlled through the pipeline, and such a sight more unlikely.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board received permission to construct a dam and power station at Storr Lochs on the Isle of Skye in 1949. The project combined the waters of Loch Fada and Loch Leathan in the Storr Lochs reservoir, with the generating house below on Bearreraig Bay. Construction began in early 1950, and was commissioned in May 1952. Before this a number of houses in the Broadford area had electricity built via underwater cable from Kyle of Lochalsh, sourced at Nostie Bridge power station. In Portree, the Royal Hotel had a small diesel generator which provided some street lighting and a few houses with electricity, while most hotels and some larger houses had their own generators.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.

Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Storr Lochs Generating Station

INVERNESS: Portree

1950s

Storr Lochs; hydro-electric; pipeline; dam; generating station; Bearreraig Bay

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

William J Ramsay Archive

Wooden forms are in place for pouring concrete for the foundation of the generating station at Storr Lochs hydro-electric scheme. The station is situated at Bearreraig Bay in northeast Skye at the base of the 350 foot cliff. The sloping anchor block for the final section of the pipeline is on the left. To the left of this, out of view, is the inclined railway built to transport workers, materials and equipment to the generating station. The River Bearreraig is full of water, likely from spring rains. Once the dam reached final construction, the water was controlled through the pipeline, and such a sight more unlikely.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board received permission to construct a dam and power station at Storr Lochs on the Isle of Skye in 1949. The project combined the waters of Loch Fada and Loch Leathan in the Storr Lochs reservoir, with the generating house below on Bearreraig Bay. Construction began in early 1950, and was commissioned in May 1952. Before this a number of houses in the Broadford area had electricity built via underwater cable from Kyle of Lochalsh, sourced at Nostie Bridge power station. In Portree, the Royal Hotel had a small diesel generator which provided some street lighting and a few houses with electricity, while most hotels and some larger houses had their own generators.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.<br /> <br /> Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>