Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Thurso Castle
EXTERNAL ID
CAITHHORZ_CAIMS_PPD64
PLACENAME
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Caithness Horizons
ASSET ID
863
KEYWORDS
castles
paintings
Thurso Castle

This print depicting Thurso Castle appears to have been taken from an engraving. The view is taken from the front of the castle. In the foreground there are trees running from the left hand corner to the centre, from this point the ground has a slope on both sides to form a valley (most likely artistic licence was used here). To the right of this valley the ground then rises again to form three hills.

The castle has a surrounding wall around the grounds and a gate which has two pointed pillars on either side. This wall has only been partially coloured. To the left of the castle there are some four figures and a dog walking along the side of the wall. The castle has an inner castellated wall which is shown much higher than the outer wall. In the distance Thurso Bay can be seen with a number of vessels berthed at Scrabster and various other vessels dotted around the bay. In the distance and to the left the headland of Holborn Head is shown, to the right is possibly Dunnet Head or the Orkney Islands.

The first Thurso Castle was built in 1660. A new castle was built nearby in the 19th century by Sir Tollemache Sinclair. The castle was the seat of the Sinclairs of Ulbster. It was built in the style of a French chateau close to the shore on the east of the river mouth. During World War II a sea mine exploded nearby and the castle became structurally unsafe


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Caithness Horizons

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Thurso Castle

CAITHNESS: Thurso

castles; paintings

Caithness Horizons

This print depicting Thurso Castle appears to have been taken from an engraving. The view is taken from the front of the castle. In the foreground there are trees running from the left hand corner to the centre, from this point the ground has a slope on both sides to form a valley (most likely artistic licence was used here). To the right of this valley the ground then rises again to form three hills. <br /> <br /> The castle has a surrounding wall around the grounds and a gate which has two pointed pillars on either side. This wall has only been partially coloured. To the left of the castle there are some four figures and a dog walking along the side of the wall. The castle has an inner castellated wall which is shown much higher than the outer wall. In the distance Thurso Bay can be seen with a number of vessels berthed at Scrabster and various other vessels dotted around the bay. In the distance and to the left the headland of Holborn Head is shown, to the right is possibly Dunnet Head or the Orkney Islands.<br /> <br /> The first Thurso Castle was built in 1660. A new castle was built nearby in the 19th century by Sir Tollemache Sinclair. The castle was the seat of the Sinclairs of Ulbster. It was built in the style of a French chateau close to the shore on the east of the river mouth. During World War II a sea mine exploded nearby and the castle became structurally unsafe <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href=""mailto: joannehowdle@caithnesshorizons.co.uk"">Caithness Horizons</a><br />