Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Storr Lochs Hydro-Electric Scheme
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_RAMSAY_D893_1_5_015
PLACENAME
Storr Lochs
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
DATE OF IMAGE
1 August 1951
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8676
KEYWORDS
Storr Lochs
hydro-electric
wing wall
dam
Storr Lochs Hydro-Electric Scheme

Standing on the Storr Lochs dam looking downstream, this wall extends to the right of the dam. The dam was positioned to create a reservoir from Lochs Fada and Leathan, on ground that was mainly peat and bog. This wing wall stretched away from the dam and provided support in this unstable ground. Nearest the dam, as shown, a sloping, smooth wall was built. Farther along the wing wall, stones were piled up to the wall, and furthest from the dam, earth was moved up to add more stability to the wing wall. In the background is the hut provided to accommodate the 60 workers.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board received permission to construct a dam and power station at Storr Lochs on the Isle of Skye in 1949. The project combined the waters of Loch Fada and Loch Leathan in the Storr Lochs reservoir, with the generating house below on Bearreraig Bay. Construction began in early 1950, and was commissioned in May 1952. Before this a number of houses in the Broadford area had electricity via underwater cable from Kyle of Lochalsh, sourced at Nostie Bridge power station. In Portree, the Royal Hotel had a small diesel generator which provided some street lighting and a few houses with electricity, while most hotels and some larger houses had their own generators.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.

Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Storr Lochs Hydro-Electric Scheme

INVERNESS: Portree

1950s

Storr Lochs; hydro-electric; wing wall; dam

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

William J Ramsay Archive

Standing on the Storr Lochs dam looking downstream, this wall extends to the right of the dam. The dam was positioned to create a reservoir from Lochs Fada and Leathan, on ground that was mainly peat and bog. This wing wall stretched away from the dam and provided support in this unstable ground. Nearest the dam, as shown, a sloping, smooth wall was built. Farther along the wing wall, stones were piled up to the wall, and furthest from the dam, earth was moved up to add more stability to the wing wall. In the background is the hut provided to accommodate the 60 workers.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board received permission to construct a dam and power station at Storr Lochs on the Isle of Skye in 1949. The project combined the waters of Loch Fada and Loch Leathan in the Storr Lochs reservoir, with the generating house below on Bearreraig Bay. Construction began in early 1950, and was commissioned in May 1952. Before this a number of houses in the Broadford area had electricity via underwater cable from Kyle of Lochalsh, sourced at Nostie Bridge power station. In Portree, the Royal Hotel had a small diesel generator which provided some street lighting and a few houses with electricity, while most hotels and some larger houses had their own generators.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.<br /> <br /> Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>