Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cable Drum at Strome Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_RAMSAY_D893_1_10_018
PLACENAME
Strome Ferry
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8908
KEYWORDS
hydro-electric
Stromeferry
cable
ferry
Loch Carron
Cable Drum at Strome Ferry

This photograph shows a cable drum being unloaded at Stromeferry. The small ferry which operated from here across the narrows of Loch Carron to North Strome ceased operation in 1971. The road sign now reads Stromeferry (No Ferry). This large wooden cable drum was used to transport the cable which was run underwater, carrying the electricity from Stromeferry to North Strome and on to the village of Lochcarron. This underwater cable is no longer in use.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.

Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.

The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cable Drum at Strome Ferry

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s

hydro-electric; Stromeferry; cable; ferry; Loch Carron

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

William J Ramsay Archive

This photograph shows a cable drum being unloaded at Stromeferry. The small ferry which operated from here across the narrows of Loch Carron to North Strome ceased operation in 1971. The road sign now reads Stromeferry (No Ferry). This large wooden cable drum was used to transport the cable which was run underwater, carrying the electricity from Stromeferry to North Strome and on to the village of Lochcarron. This underwater cable is no longer in use.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.<br /> <br /> Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.<br /> <br /> The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>