Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Strome ferry boat
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_RAMSAY_D893_1_10_019
PLACENAME
Strome Ferry
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8910
KEYWORDS
Lochalsh
Loch Carron
Stromeferry
Earl of Ross
A890
MacDonalds of Glengarry
Mackenzies of Kintail
Strome ferry boat

A photograph of the Strom ferry boat, in the early to mid-twentieth century. A single car can be seen loaded on to the ferry.

The ferry crossed from the entrance of Loch Carron to Strome, serving mainly a local clientele. It became obsolete and ceased operation in 1970 when the old road along the north shore of Loch Carron was reconstructed to reach Inverness. A ferry returned to service briefly in October 2008 (and again in 2012) when rockfalls made local roads unsafe and alternative access was required during repair work.

The ruin of Strome Castle, originally belonging to the MacDonalds of Glengarry, is located opposite Strome Ferry on the northern bank. The castle was burned down in 1602 by the MacKenzies of Kintail.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Strome ferry boat

ROSS: Lochalsh

Lochalsh; Loch Carron; Stromeferry; Earl of Ross; A890; MacDonalds of Glengarry; Mackenzies of Kintail

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

William J Ramsay Archive

A photograph of the Strom ferry boat, in the early to mid-twentieth century. A single car can be seen loaded on to the ferry. <br /> <br /> The ferry crossed from the entrance of Loch Carron to Strome, serving mainly a local clientele. It became obsolete and ceased operation in 1970 when the old road along the north shore of Loch Carron was reconstructed to reach Inverness. A ferry returned to service briefly in October 2008 (and again in 2012) when rockfalls made local roads unsafe and alternative access was required during repair work.<br /> <br /> The ruin of Strome Castle, originally belonging to the MacDonalds of Glengarry, is located opposite Strome Ferry on the northern bank. The castle was burned down in 1602 by the MacKenzies of Kintail. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>