Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Hydro-electric switching-on ceremony, Kyleakin
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_RAMSAY_D893_1_10_034
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
DATE OF IMAGE
6 May 1947
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8945
KEYWORDS
hydro-electric
Kyleakin
Skye
electricity
Hydro-electric switching-on ceremony, Kyleakin

Some areas, like Kyle of Lochalsh, had small generators which provided electricity to a few homes before the North of Scotland Hydro-Board took over supply and distribution. In 1947, the Board upgraded these small generators in Kyle to get a supply of electricity to Kyleakin via an underwater cable.

The prospect of affordable electricity to every house was cause for great excitement, and the Board took every opportunity to promote this wonderful source of energy. Kyleakin, on the Isle of Skye, was host to the Board and dignitaries on 6th May 1947 for the official switch-on which would provide a small area of Skye with electricity. This photograph shows the assembled guests and speakers on the platform, with a good crowd of locals on hand to witness the events. It was then that Edward MacColl announced that the Storr Lochs generating scheme had been approved which would guarantee electricity Skye wide.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.

Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.

The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Hydro-electric switching-on ceremony, Kyleakin

INVERNESS: Strath

1940s

hydro-electric; Kyleakin; Skye; electricity

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

William J Ramsay Archive

Some areas, like Kyle of Lochalsh, had small generators which provided electricity to a few homes before the North of Scotland Hydro-Board took over supply and distribution. In 1947, the Board upgraded these small generators in Kyle to get a supply of electricity to Kyleakin via an underwater cable.<br /> <br /> The prospect of affordable electricity to every house was cause for great excitement, and the Board took every opportunity to promote this wonderful source of energy. Kyleakin, on the Isle of Skye, was host to the Board and dignitaries on 6th May 1947 for the official switch-on which would provide a small area of Skye with electricity. This photograph shows the assembled guests and speakers on the platform, with a good crowd of locals on hand to witness the events. It was then that Edward MacColl announced that the Storr Lochs generating scheme had been approved which would guarantee electricity Skye wide.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.<br /> <br /> Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.<br /> <br /> The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>