Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Hydro Electric Vans on Shieldaig Road
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_RAMSAY_D893_1_11_003
PLACENAME
Kinloch Damph
DISTRICT
Lochcarron
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Applecross
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8951
KEYWORDS
hydro-electric
van
Kinloch Damph
Hydro Electric Vans on Shieldaig Road

By the mid-1950s, electricity was reaching some remote and sparsely populated areas of the Highlands. It was the remit of the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board that these areas should be included in receiving the benefits of electricity. Electricity was switched on in the Applecross peninsula in 1955 with miles of cables and poles cutting through wild uninhabited country to reach relatively small communities. This photograph was taken on the main road from Lochcarron to Shieldaig.

Hydro vans were becoming a common sight in the Highlands, often carrying cookers for delivery to remote houses. To reach their destination with this delivery to Kinhloch Damph (Ceann Loch Damh) the van would be abandoned, the road would turn into a path, and the cooker carried the final miles to the isolated croft house. It is a great example of the North of Scotland Hydro Board's commitment to provide electricity to all the Highlands.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.

Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.

The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Hydro Electric Vans on Shieldaig Road

ROSS: Applecross

1950s

hydro-electric; van; Kinloch Damph

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

William J Ramsay Archive

By the mid-1950s, electricity was reaching some remote and sparsely populated areas of the Highlands. It was the remit of the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board that these areas should be included in receiving the benefits of electricity. Electricity was switched on in the Applecross peninsula in 1955 with miles of cables and poles cutting through wild uninhabited country to reach relatively small communities. This photograph was taken on the main road from Lochcarron to Shieldaig.<br /> <br /> Hydro vans were becoming a common sight in the Highlands, often carrying cookers for delivery to remote houses. To reach their destination with this delivery to Kinhloch Damph (Ceann Loch Damh) the van would be abandoned, the road would turn into a path, and the cooker carried the final miles to the isolated croft house. It is a great example of the North of Scotland Hydro Board's commitment to provide electricity to all the Highlands.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.<br /> <br /> Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.<br /> <br /> The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />