Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cooker delivery to Kinloch Damph
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_RAMSAY_D893_1_11_014
PLACENAME
Kinloch Damph
DISTRICT
Lochcarron
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Applecross
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
8974
KEYWORDS
hydro-electric
van
cooker
Cooker delivery to Kinloch Damph

By the mid-1950s, electricity was reaching some of the more remote areas in the Highlands, with hydro poles and lines stretching for miles over uninhabited areas to reach even the smallest communities. In 1955 electricity was switched on for the Applecross peninsula and north to Shieldaig. With the availability of electricity people were eager to try out cookers, electric kettles and other new appliances. From the main showroom in Kyle of Lochalsh, Hydro Electric vans delivering goods became a very common sight.

This photograph shows the recipient of a new cooker at the doorway of her house at Kinloch Damph (Ceann Loch Damh). For this delivery, the Hydro van would have had to leave the main road, travel along a narrow track, and for the final miles the van would have been abandoned and the cooker carried over footpaths, bridges and through woodland.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.

Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.

The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cooker delivery to Kinloch Damph

ROSS: Applecross

1950s

hydro-electric; van; cooker

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

William J Ramsay Archive

By the mid-1950s, electricity was reaching some of the more remote areas in the Highlands, with hydro poles and lines stretching for miles over uninhabited areas to reach even the smallest communities. In 1955 electricity was switched on for the Applecross peninsula and north to Shieldaig. With the availability of electricity people were eager to try out cookers, electric kettles and other new appliances. From the main showroom in Kyle of Lochalsh, Hydro Electric vans delivering goods became a very common sight.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows the recipient of a new cooker at the doorway of her house at Kinloch Damph (Ceann Loch Damh). For this delivery, the Hydro van would have had to leave the main road, travel along a narrow track, and for the final miles the van would have been abandoned and the cooker carried over footpaths, bridges and through woodland.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.<br /> <br /> Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.<br /> <br /> The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />