Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Hydro-Electric Van
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_RAMSAY_D893_1_12_003
PLACENAME
Wester Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
9009
KEYWORDS
hydro-electric
Wester Ross
van
employment
Hydro-Electric Van

From the late 1940s onward the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board name, and distinctive crest of the organization became commonplace in Skye, Lochalsh and Wester Ross districts. The Nostie Bridge hydro-electric scheme opened in 1948, and the Storr Lochs station on Skye in 1952. From these two generating stations the supply of electricity was gradually extended to include the Island of Raasay, and north as far as Shieldaig. The construction of the dams, pipelines and power stations provided much needed employment, and once completed, the local Hydro Board became valued employers providing full time work for office and showroom staff, as well as engineers and maintenance workers. This photograph shows the common sight of the Hydro van making its way over very rough terrain, likely in Wester Ross.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.

Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.

The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Hydro-Electric Van

ROSS

1950s

hydro-electric; Wester Ross; van; employment

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

William J Ramsay Archive

From the late 1940s onward the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board name, and distinctive crest of the organization became commonplace in Skye, Lochalsh and Wester Ross districts. The Nostie Bridge hydro-electric scheme opened in 1948, and the Storr Lochs station on Skye in 1952. From these two generating stations the supply of electricity was gradually extended to include the Island of Raasay, and north as far as Shieldaig. The construction of the dams, pipelines and power stations provided much needed employment, and once completed, the local Hydro Board became valued employers providing full time work for office and showroom staff, as well as engineers and maintenance workers. This photograph shows the common sight of the Hydro van making its way over very rough terrain, likely in Wester Ross.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.<br /> <br /> Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.<br /> <br /> The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />