Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Delivering a cooker to Ard-Dhubh
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_RAMSAY_D893_1_12_009
PLACENAME
Ard-Dhubh
DISTRICT
Lochcarron
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Applecross
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
9022
KEYWORDS
hydro-electric
Ard-Dhubh
boat
cooker
Applecross
Delivering a cooker to Ard-Dhubh

Lochalsh area first received electricity in December 1948, when the newly built generating station at Nostie Bridge was officially opened. Two years later, the power station at Storr Lochs on the Isle of Skye was energized in May 1952. It took some years to extend the infrastructure to supply electricity to areas furthest from these stations, with Applecross and Shieldaig receiving a supply three years later.

In deciding the route for the electricity lines to Applecross, the rough terrain of the peninsula posed a considerable challenge. The Hydro Board was determined to provide the service to Applecross, and in 1948, the General Manager of the Board, Mr T Lawrie took the first practical step in addressing the problem by taking a fishing boat from Plockton to Toscaig, and walking back through Applecross and over the hills to Loch Kishorn. The lines could have followed the main road over Bealach na Ba, but at the height of over 2,000 feet, the maintenance of the supply in winter would have been difficult and probably at times impossible. The routes were surveyed, costs compared and the final decision routed the electricity lines from Kishorn, following the coast, then over the hills directly to Toscaig, north to Applecross and along the coast to Shieldaig.

With electricity reaching even the most remote houses, everyone could look forward to using the appliances now available to them. However, getting appliances to some houses wasn't always an easy task. This photograph was taken on the shore near Ard-Dhubh, south of Applecross. The cooker was transported by van from Kyle of Lochalsh to Applecross, loaded on the small boat with outboard engine for delivery to Ard-Dhubh. Pictured here, A MacLean and Danny Beaton, back to the camera, lift the cooker, balanced on a hand fashioned stretcher, from the boat, while a man looks on to make sure it clears the bow. The cooker was then taken up the shore, for installation at a nearby house.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.

Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.

The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Delivering a cooker to Ard-Dhubh

ROSS: Applecross

1950s

hydro-electric; Ard-Dhubh; boat; cooker; Applecross

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

William J Ramsay Archive

Lochalsh area first received electricity in December 1948, when the newly built generating station at Nostie Bridge was officially opened. Two years later, the power station at Storr Lochs on the Isle of Skye was energized in May 1952. It took some years to extend the infrastructure to supply electricity to areas furthest from these stations, with Applecross and Shieldaig receiving a supply three years later.<br /> <br /> In deciding the route for the electricity lines to Applecross, the rough terrain of the peninsula posed a considerable challenge. The Hydro Board was determined to provide the service to Applecross, and in 1948, the General Manager of the Board, Mr T Lawrie took the first practical step in addressing the problem by taking a fishing boat from Plockton to Toscaig, and walking back through Applecross and over the hills to Loch Kishorn. The lines could have followed the main road over Bealach na Ba, but at the height of over 2,000 feet, the maintenance of the supply in winter would have been difficult and probably at times impossible. The routes were surveyed, costs compared and the final decision routed the electricity lines from Kishorn, following the coast, then over the hills directly to Toscaig, north to Applecross and along the coast to Shieldaig.<br /> <br /> With electricity reaching even the most remote houses, everyone could look forward to using the appliances now available to them. However, getting appliances to some houses wasn't always an easy task. This photograph was taken on the shore near Ard-Dhubh, south of Applecross. The cooker was transported by van from Kyle of Lochalsh to Applecross, loaded on the small boat with outboard engine for delivery to Ard-Dhubh. Pictured here, A MacLean and Danny Beaton, back to the camera, lift the cooker, balanced on a hand fashioned stretcher, from the boat, while a man looks on to make sure it clears the bow. The cooker was then taken up the shore, for installation at a nearby house.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.<br /> <br /> Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.<br /> <br /> The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>