Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Side Door, Nostie Bridge Power Station
EXTERNAL ID
GB232_RAMSAY_D893_1_16_001A
PLACENAME
Nostie Bridge
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1980s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
9235
KEYWORDS
hydro-electric
Nostie Bridge
crest
Neart nan Gleann
Side Door, Nostie Bridge Power Station

This photograph shows the side door of the Nostie Bridge Power Station near Kyle of Lochalsh. The crest above the door is part of the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board crest, granted in 1944 by the Lord Lyon King-at-Arms, to display on stationery and buildings. The crest was symbolic of the manner in which natural forces can be used in the service of mankind. The shield carries a winged thunderbolt with flashes of lightning extinguishing the light of an ancient oil burning lamp. At Nostie Bridge Station, the crest carries the date 1948, when the station was energized. The full crest includes the motto, Neart nan Gleann meaning the power of the glens. The crest was used until the name changed to Scottish Hydro-Electric in 1991.

The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'.

Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity.

The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Side Door, Nostie Bridge Power Station

ROSS: Lochalsh

1980s

hydro-electric; Nostie Bridge; crest; Neart nan Gleann

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

William J Ramsay Archive

This photograph shows the side door of the Nostie Bridge Power Station near Kyle of Lochalsh. The crest above the door is part of the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board crest, granted in 1944 by the Lord Lyon King-at-Arms, to display on stationery and buildings. The crest was symbolic of the manner in which natural forces can be used in the service of mankind. The shield carries a winged thunderbolt with flashes of lightning extinguishing the light of an ancient oil burning lamp. At Nostie Bridge Station, the crest carries the date 1948, when the station was energized. The full crest includes the motto, Neart nan Gleann meaning the power of the glens. The crest was used until the name changed to Scottish Hydro-Electric in 1991. <br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board was established under the Hydro-Electric Development (Scotland) Act 1943. Thomas Johnston presented the Act in the House of Commons, declaring that by harnessing 'the great latent power of the region' it would assist in remedying the ills that affected the Highlands. Johnston told the Commons that 'industries, whether owned nationally or privately, will be and ought to be, attracted to locations in the Highlands, as a result of this measure'. <br /> <br /> Ordinary consumers would have priority, then the anticipated large power users, and any surplus energy would be sold to the national grid. Profits from these sales would help reduce distribution costs to more remote areas, and assist in carrying out measures for the economic development and social improvement of the Highlands. This famous social clause gave recognition that the Hydro Board was envisaged as an instrument for the rehabilitation of northern Scotland, not just an organization to provide electricity. <br /> <br /> The output from the power station at Loch Sloy, west of Loch Lomond, was intended to meet the demand for central and western Scotland. The surplus energy produced here would be used to subsidise the Morar and Lochalsh projects, it being unlikely these smaller schemes could pay their way. The cost of construction of these three projects was estimated at £4,600,000. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />